All About August 12th
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
August 12th Holidays
- Baseball Fans Day
- IBM PC Day
- International Youth Day
- National Julliene Fries Day
- National Middle Child’s Day
- National Sewing Machine Day
- Truck Driver Day
- Vinyl Record Day
- World Elephant Day
August 12th Horoscope Sign is Leo
Date range: July 23 – August 22
Color: Gold, Yellow, Orange
Lucky Numbers: 1, 3, 10, 19
Traits: Leos are compassionate, caring, warmhearted people but also be arrogant, self centered and stubborn.
Famous Leos: Jennifer Lopez, Barack Obama, Sandra Bullock, Daniel Radcliffe, Alfred Hitchcock, Ben Affleck, Mila Kunis. Shaun Mendes, Kylie Jenner, Cole Sprouse, Demi Lovato, Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Brady, Dua Lipa, Olivia Holt and Maia Mitchell, Paul Wesley, Chris Hemsworth
August 12th Trivia
- 1492 – Christopher Columbus arrives in the Canary Islands on his first voyage to the New World.
- 1851 – Isaac Singer is granted a patent for his sewing machine.
- 1865 – Joseph Lister, British surgeon and scientist, performs 1st antiseptic surgery.
- 1877 – Mars’ moon Deimos is discovered by American astronomer Asaph Hall.
- 1883 -The last quagga (species of zebra that has stripes only in the front of it’s body) dies in captivity at the Natura Artis Magistra zoo in Amsterdam.
- 1956 – The #1 song was, “My Prayer,” by The Platters.
- 1960 – Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, is launched.
- 1962 – The #1 movie was, “Kid Galahad,” starring Elvis Presley.
- 1964 – South Africa is banned from the Olympic Games due to the country’s racist policies.
- 1975 – Casey Affleck, American actor and director was born in Falmouth, MA.
- 1977 – The first free flight of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
- 1980 – The #1 song was, “Magic,” by Olivia Newton-John.
- 1981 – The IBM Personal Computer is stocked in stores for the first time.
- 1982 – Henry Fonda, American actor, singer, producer passes away.
- 1985 – The #1 movie was, “Back to the Future,” starring Michael J. Fox.
- 1990 – The largest dinosaur fossil is found by American palaeontologist Sue Hendrickson. It was a Tyrannosaurus rex in the state of South Dakota. They named the dinosaur Sue and she is 14 feet tall.
- 2020 – Joe Biden picks Sen. Kamala Harris to be his vice presidential running mate, making her the first Black woman on a major ticket. [CNBC]