All About October 17th
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
October 17th Holidays
- Black Poetry Day
- Four Prunes Day
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- Mulligan Day
- National Edge Day
- National Pasta Day
- Spreadsheet Day
- Wear Something Gaudy Day
- World Trauma Day
October 17th Horoscope is Libra
- Date range: September 23 – October 22
- Element: Air
- Quality: Cardinal
- Color: Pink, Green
- Ruler: Venus
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 6, 13, 15, 24
- Personality Traits: Cooperative, diplomatic, gracious, stable, common sense, social but upsets easily, holds grudges, plays the victim
- Famous Libras: Neve Cambell, Kate Winslet, Jesse Eisenberg, Sigourney Weaver, Hugh Jackman, Matt Damon, Naomi Watts, Will Smith, Viggo Mortenson, Zac Effron, Gwyneth Paltrow, Clive Owen, Hillary Duff, Tim Robbins, John Krasinski, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alicia Silverstone, Susan Surandon, Eminem, Elisabeth Shue and Gwen Stefani.
October 17th Trivia
- 1091 – A tornado thought to be of strength T8/F4 strikes the heart of London.
- 1346 – Battle of Neville’s Cross: King David II of Scotland is captured by the English near Durham, and imprisoned in the Tower of London for eleven years.
- 1814 – October 17th, 1814 several vats of beer burst at the Meux and Company Brewery , flooding the city streets with 610,000 liters of beer. The almost 15 feet tall wave of porter beer killed 8 people. This became known as the London Beer Flood.
- 1888 – Thomas Edison files a patent for the Optical Phonograph (the first movie).
- 1912 – Pope John Paul I was born.
- 1918 – Rita Hayworth, American actress was born in Brooklyn, New York.
- 1919 – RCA is incorporated as the Radio Corporation of America.
1931 – Al Capone is convicted of income tax evasion.
1933 – Albert Einstein flees Nazi Germany and moves to the United States.
1940 – The body of Communist propagandist Willi Münzenberg found in South France, starting a never-resolved mystery.
- 1938 – Evel Knievel, Stunt performer was born in Butte, MT.
- 1956 – 13 yeard old Bobby Fischer wins a chess match with Donald Byrne, known as the The Game of the Century in New York City.
- 1959 – Norm Macdonald, Canadian stand-up comedian and known for being on Saturday Night Live was born in Quebec City, Canada.
- 1966 – The 23rd Street Fire in New York City kills 12 firefighters, the fire department’s deadliest day up until 9/11 happens.
- 1972 – Eminem, American rapper, producer, actor was born.
- 1979 – Mother Teresa is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1989 – A 6.0 magnitude earthquake named, Loma Prieta shakes California
killing 60 people and causing many landslides.