Everyday is full of holidays you have never heard of. Some funny, some fun, some quirky or just plain weird and some very important observances.
- Adopt a Shelter Pet Day
- Day of the Child
- Hairstyle Appreciation Day
- International Jazz Day
- National Animal Advocacy Day
- National Honesty Day
- National Bubble Tea Day
- National Bugs Bunny day
- National Mr. Potato Head Day
- National Oatmeal Cookie Day
- National Raisin Day
- Spank Out Day
April 30th Zodiac Sign is Taurus
Time period: April 20 – May 21
Ruling planet: Venus
Zodiac quality: Fixed
Birthstones: Emerald, Diamond, Sapphire, Garnet, Rose quartz
Famous Tauruses: Dwayne Johnson, Queen Elizabeth II, Megan Fox, George Clooney, Adele, Mark Zuckerberg, Shakespeare, David Beckham, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
April 30th Video
April 30th Trivia
- 311 – The Diocletianic Persecution of Christians in the Roman Empire ends.
- 1492 – Spain gives Christopher Columbus his commission of exploration.
- 1598 – Henry IV of France issues the Edict of Nantes, allowing freedom of religion to the Huguenots.
- 1789 – George Washington takes the oath of office to become the first elected President of the United States on the balcony of Federal Hall on Wall Street in New York City,
- 1803 – The United States purchases the Louisiana Territory from France for $15 million, more than doubling the size of the young nation.
- 1812 – The Territory of Orleans becomes the 18th U.S. state under the name Louisiana.
- 1871 – The Camp Grant massacre on the Apaches takes place in Arizona Territory.
- 1905 – Albert Einstein writes his thesis Eine neue Bestimmung der Moleküldimensionen.
- 1907 – Honolulu, Hawaii becomes an independent city.
- 1926 – Cloris Leachman, American actress was born in Des Moines, IA.
- 1927 – The Federal Industrial Institute for Women opens in Alderson, WestVirginia, making it the first women’s federal prison in the United States.
- 1927 – Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford become the first celebrities to leave their footprints in concrete at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
- 1938 – The animated cartoon short Porky’s Hare Hunt debuts in movie theaters, introducing Happy Rabbit (a prototype of Bugs Bunny).
- 1945 – Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun commit suicide after being married for less than 40 hours.
- 1945 – World War II: Stalag Luft I prisoner-of-war camp near Barth, Germany is liberated by Soviet soldiers, freeing nearly 9000 American and British airmen.
- 1956 – Former Vice President and Democratic Senator Alben Barkley dies of a heart attack after collapsing on the stage during a speech in Virginia after saying, “I’m glad to sit on the back row, for I would rather be a servant in the House of the Lord than to sit in the seats of the mighty.”
- 1959 – Stephen Harper, Canadian economist and politician, 22nd Prime Minister of Canada is born.
- 1980 – Beatrix is inaugurated as Queen of the Netherlands following the abdication of Juliana.
- 1982 – Kirsten Dunst, Actress was born in Point Pleasant, NJ.
- 1991 – Travis Scott, American rapper was born in Houston, TX.
- 1992 – Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida bury a time capsule to be opened in 2042; 50 years after its burial.
- 1997 – Ellen DeGeneres came out as gay. Her sitcom, Ellen, became one of first major television shows featuring an openly gay main character.
- 1999 – Jorden van Foreest, Dutch chess grandmaster is born.
- 2004 – U.S. media release graphic photos of American soldiers abusing and sexually humiliating Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.
- 2013 – Willem-Alexander is inaugurated as King of the Netherlands following the abdication of Beatrix.
- 2019 – Actor Peter Mayhew has died at age 74. He was best known for playing Chewbacca in the “Star Wars” series. Read more here.