April 4th Holidays
April 4th Trivia
- 1818 American Flag Flag of 13 stripes representing the original states and a star for each state of the Union is adopted.
- 1841 First U.S. President to Die in Office William Henry Harrison dies of pneumonia after serving only 31 days as President.
- 1928 Maya Angelou d. 2014 (Marguerite Ann Johnson), African-American poet, civil rights activist is born.
- 1932 Anthony Perkins American actor. Film: Psycho (1960, Norman Bates) is born.
- 1944 Craig T. Nelson American Emmy-winning actor. TV: who starred on Coach is born.
- 1958 – While movie star’ Lana Turner’s gangster boyfriend, Johnny Stompanato, Jr, was beating her in her Beverly Hills bedroom, Turner’s 14-year-old daughter rushed in and fatally stabbed him with a carving knife.
- 1964 The Beatles take the top five positions on the Billboard list.
- 1968 Martin Luther King, the civil rights leader is assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee by escaped convict James Earl Ray.
- 1973 The World Trade Center is dedicated. At 1,350 feet and 110 stories, it was the world’s tallest building.
- 1973 David Blaine American magician. is born.
- 1993 – Mario Andretti At age 53, the legendary racecar driver becomes the oldest person to win an Indy-car race, by winning the Valvoline 200.
- 2003 Sammy Sosa hits his 500th home run.
- 2004 – Cindy Sheehan’s son Casey Sheehan is killed by enemy action. in the Iraq war Cindy would go on to become a peace activist, camping out at President Bush’s Crawford ranch.
- 2013 Roger Ebert b. 1942 American film critic passed away.
- 2016 – On the campaign trail, Donald Trump defended his campaign manager, who was charged with assaulting a woman reporter and then he called for women who have abortions to be punished.
- 2017 – President Trump praised Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi telling him he did a, “fantastic job,” after the two met at the White House on Monday, reversing U.S. posture toward the autocratic former military leader who seized power nearly four years ago.