Here are some ideas I wanted to share with you of what I found useful for my own grand child. Some of these items I wasn’t able to get, or just simply didn’t know about when I had my first grand child but will be sure to get them for my second that is on it’s way now! I hope this guide will help you too and feel free to share your own suggestions in the comments below! We love to hear from our followers and we can learn so much from each other. Nothing is better then being a grandma and having some of the necessary tools at home helps!
I am not a grandma that got to retire in a huge home with lots of money in the bank to spend. I am living in a smaller duplex and want to have baby over all the time, and need all the things you need for your grand baby minus the space for it all. I found this was so handy to have for a number of reasons.
1. It was small and could be moved from room to room. If we felt like eating lunch in the living room we could move it easily.
2. It was also good for playtime. My grand child would sit in here and color or play with her “fake food” or play doh. It contains the mess of “littler toys” like Legos and crayons.
3. This can be a high chair or a booster seat. It is small enough to throw into your car in case you want to travel with it also. Nice for hotel stays.
The bouncer saved our life when we were babysitting! I’m not even kidding. Our little granddaughter would bounce for ten minutes straight. Ten minutes doesn’t sound like a long time but when you have to just quickly go to the bathroom or your back is aching, this will save the day! This is the very jumper we bought too. The reason we liked this one, is it bounces really good. We tried others but this one bounces the best. Our granddaughter loved the little toys that hang down too. It had a lot to do on it. I highly recommend this one. There are cheaper ones and more expensive ones but this one was by far the best for our granddaughter.
Here is a video to prove it. ♥
I made the mistake of not getting one of these with my first grandchild. But I certainly will for my second. One thing I learned is that grandma’s have bad backs sometimes and can’t carry babies around like when you are younger. I never want to let go of my little one, but when they are napping it’s really necessary to have somewhere safe and comfortable to lay them down.
Here are the reasons I would choose one of these instead of a bassinet or playpen.
- You can move this room to room more easily then the bigger items such as bassinets or playpens. So if the baby decides to nap when you are about to make a batch of cookies you can lay the baby down right in the same room you are cooking or folding laundy.
- If you have pets like me, you know that there is no keeping them quiet or making them understand not to jump up next to the baby or trample over them while they are napping. My little Shitzu loved to jump up on the bed while baby was napping and I was always afraid he’s startle the baby or even worse land on her. My cats did the same thing and would try to cuddle with the baby, often waking the baby. We all know how important naps are when we are babysitting. For both baby and grandma.
- Even if the baby is awake and you just need a rest or need to do something quick, like a bathroom break it is a convenient place to set baby down.
- This would also be nice for sitting outside on the front porch.
There are many cute styles to choose from.
Click Here to see the Different Adorable Baby Seats.
This is a must. Remember when our babies were little and we had the old fashioned kind that you had to use rectally or under the arm? Those days are no more thank goodness. Now you just swipe it across their forehead and you have an instant reading.
I love this little Burt’s Bee kit. Has everything you need to start with, baby lotion, baby hampoo and wash, diaper ointment, baby oil and buttermilk soap. I also use a lot of Aveena products for my granddaughter. I love how the baby shampoo smells. Either one of these kits would be good to start out with. ♥
All grandmas need this for obvious reasons. You never know when they will snag a little nail, or get a sliver. Nice to have these little necessities on hand before an incident.
I love love love these! You won’t believe how many you go through. If you want to cut down on washing twenty washcloths a day, then these are the best for their little hands and faces. These are made with all natural products, and are non-allergenic so they are great if your grand babies have sensitive skin like mine does. Great for little spills and for quickly cleaning up if coloring and marker or chalk gets on something.
If you are planning on napping baby in another room but would like to monitor her, it is a great idea to get one of these. It will give you peace of mind and you can watch your grandchild and make sure they are still asleep. This particular one has a screen with a video which is nice if you are hard of hearing.
A Nice Stylish Diaper Bag always Packed and Ready to Go
It’s nice to have one all ready to go. Whether you go on a walk to the part, a ride in the car or wherever your day takes you, don’t forget the diaper bag!
Strollers are necessary to go on walks, to go shopping, and any outings. They are worth the investment. the reason I am recommending this particular one is it’s lightweight, and easily folded. I made the mistake of getting an umbrella stroller thinking it would be nice and light, easy to fold. But I didn’t like the seats. My granddaughter would always have a red line on the back of her legs from the seat digging in. They are very bumpy too. They are just not made for comfort. This one is light enough for a grandma to pick up, fold up and stick in the car. It also has a canopy on the top whereas the umbrella strollers didn’t to block out the sun. It also has a storage area on the back. The reviews are all pretty good and many say they are very comfortable for their grandchild.
Being a grandma is such a joy. You are going to want to cherish these moments and remember them forever. Not to mention brag to your friends a little!