February 8th Holidays
Today, like everyday is full of silly, quirky, strange holidays along with some serious observances. Plead read the list below and see if there is anything that you would like to observe or celebrate.
- Boy Scouts Day
Boy Scout Day celebrates the birthday of Scouting in America which was started February 8, 1910 by Chicago publisher William Dickson Boyce.
- Laugh and Get Rich Day
The creators of this day are unknown but it seems they had the sentiment that laughing and happiness is what make you rich, not money.
- National Kite Flying Day
We are not sure who started National Kite Day but we do wish they had picked a warmer month to celebrate it in!
- National Molasses Bar Day
Molasses, a sticky syrup made from sugarcane can be made into many delicious snacks including Molasses Bars so enjoy one today!
- Opera Day
Enjoy opera today! Whether your taste runs from L’Orfeo or La Bohème or maybe to Phantom of the Opera or Les Misérables just pick one to watch and listen to and enjoy the beauty.
February 8th Zodiac Sign is Aquarius
- Date range: January 20 – February 18
- Element: Air,
- Quality: Fixed
- Color: Light-Blue, Silver
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 7, 11, 22, 29
- Personality Traits: Humanitarian, original, likes to be right, argumentative
- Famous Aquariuses; Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts, Denise Richards,
Princess Charlene of Monaco, Shakira, Mischa Barton, Natalie Imbruglia, Ellen DeGeneres, Alicia Keys, Abraham Lincoln, Galileo Galilei, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Charles Darwin, Michael Jordan, James Dean.
Interesting Events that Happened on this Day
- 1672 Isaac Newton reads 1st optics paper before Royal Society in London Learn more here.
- 1807 Napoleon loses first battle, the Battle of Eylau ends inconclusively between his forces and Russian Empire.
- 1910 – Today in 2010 The Boy Scouts of America was incorporated 1910 by Chicago publisher William Dickson Boyce.
- 1922 – President Warren G. Harding has the first radio installed in the White House.
- 1952 Elizabeth II is proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.
- 1971 Nasdaq Composite stock market index debuts with 50 companies and a starting value of 100.
- 1983 Shergar, a 5 year old thoroughbred woth over $13,000,000 is stolen from a stud farm owned by the Aga Khan in County Kildare, Ireland never to be seen again.
- 2013 100, 000 people march to demand justice for the atrocities of the Bangladesh Liberation War in Dhaka