January 5th Holiday List
Everyday has something to celebrate in it! Check out the list below to see if you would like to learn more about the holidays or observances of today, January 5th!
January 5th Trivia
- 1887 First U.S. library school Opens at Columbia University.
- 1914: Henry Ford, automobile maker, announces an unprecedented five-dollar-a-day minimum wage for his employees.
- 1914: George Reeves d. 1959 (George Besselo), American actor. TV: Superman from the original series was born.
- 1946: Diane Keaton (Diane Hall), American Oscar-winning actress. Film: Annie Hall (1977, Oscar) was born.
- 1968: Dr. Benjamin Spock is indicted for conspiracy to aid others in draft evasion. He was later convicted and sentenced to two years.
- 1925: First woman U.S. governor Mrs. Nellie Tayloe Ross, Wyoming, takes office.
- 1970: “All My Children” debuted on ABC.
- 1975: The world’s oldest parrot, Jimmy, died in England at the age of 104.
- 1980: John Cougar Mellencamp made his debut on “American Bandstand.”
- 1984: the Police played their farewell concert in Australia.
- 1987: U.S. President Ronald Reagan produces the nation’s first trillion-dollar budget.
- 1998: Sonny Bono b. 1935 (Salvatore Bono), American singer with Cher, mayor, died after hitting a tree in a skiing accident on a vacation in Nevada.
- 2007: Momofuku Ando, the inventor of Ramen Noodles, also known as “Mr. Noodle,” died at age 96 in Osaka, Japan.
- 2017: Erica Garner, activist daughter of Eric Garner, dies at 27 after coma. [Source]
Back to January Holidays