March 1st Holiday List
- Asiatic Fleet Memorial Day- All of America’s service personnel and veterans deserve our gratitude, and it is fitting to pay tribute to the United States Asiatic Fleet. From the WhiteHouse.
- National Fruit Compote Day- Each year on March 1st, National Fruit Compote Day is observed across the United States. Compote means a mixture of fruit usually boiled together with a sugary mixture. Click here for recipes on how to observe this holiday. Or you could buy the cookbook, “Compote Greats: Delicious Compote Recipes, The Top 80 Compote Recipes
- National Horse Protection Day- For horse lovers, here is a list of things you can do so celebate Horse Protection today.
- National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day- The only think you have to do for Peanut Butter Day is simply enjoy some peanut butter! Whether you eat it right out of the jar, or snack on some delicious peanut butter cookies just eat some and enjoy it! Click here for 25 Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes: Easy Homemade Cookie Recipes
- National Pig Day- National Pig Day, observed annually on the 1st of March, recognizes the domesticated pig. This holiday includes events and celebrations at zoos, schools, and other gatherings to celebrate the pig.
- National Sportsmanship Day – On March 2 the AAP recognized National Sportsmanship Day. This event is a good opportunity to remind both children and parents of the importance of good sportsmanship.
- National Wedding Planning Day
Since 40% of couples get engaged November through January, today is the day to start planning your wedding!
- Plan a Solo Vacation Day- This day is exactly as it sounds. You are supposed to plan a holiday simply for you. No family, no friends, just a vacation to do what you want to do.
- Refired Not Retired Day –This day is for people who are thinking about retiring or already have. It’s a day to celebrate you and how you want to live.
- Self-injury Awareness Day – SIAD occurs on 1st March every year since 1999.
SIAD is an international event. LifeSIGNS is proud to have supported Self-Injury Awareness Day for over a decade now, and they’re the number one resource for SIAD material.
Raising awareness about self-injury leads to understanding and empathy, banishing judgment and fear, and reducing the number of people who feel alone and suffer in silence.
- Today is Share a Smile Day – Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts invented the smiley face. He wanted to keep it’s meaning, as he worried it was becoming too commericalized so he started Today is Share a Smile Day in 1991. Read More Here.
- Today is World Compliment Day – Click on this link to find their Twitter and Facebook pages.
March 1st Trivia
- 1790 – The first United States census is authorized.
- 1893 – Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives his first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1872 – Yellowstone National Park is established as the world’s first national park.
- 1910 – The worst avalanche in United States history buries a Great Northern Railway train in northeastern King County, Washington, killing 96 people.
- 1932 – Charles Lindbergh’s son is reportedly kidnapped.
- 1936 – The Hoover Dam is completed.
- 1954 – Nuclear weapons testing: The Castle Bravo, a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb, is detonated on Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in the worst radioactive contamination ever caused by the United States.
- 1961 – United States President John F. Kennedy establishes the Peace Corps.
- 1961 – Uganda becomes self-governing and holds its first elections.
- 1987 – Kesha, American singer-songwriter and actress was born.
- 1994 – Justin Bieber, Canadian singer-songwriter was born.
- 2016- Candidate Rubio says “Trump “Unelectable” After Refusing to Disavow KKK.”
- 2017- Fact-checking President Trump’s first address to Congress proves he’s lying or making up his own “alternative facts.”
March 2nd Holidays List
March Holidays, Daily and Monthly Observances