March 22nd Holiday List
Every day of the year has funny strange and quirky holidays. Some are serious ones for awareness of health conditions while others are just for fun to remember part of our culture. Here is a list of today’s fun holidays!
March 22nd Trivia
- 1621 – The Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony sign a peace treaty with Massasoit of the Wampanoags.
- 1784 – The Emerald Buddha is moved with great ceremony to its current location in Wat Phra Kaew, Thailand.
- 1790 – Thomas Jefferson became the first U.S. Secretary of State.
- 1841 Cornstarch is patented, by Orlando Jones of England.
- 1882 Those practicing, or approving of, polygamy were banned from voting and holding public office by the new U.S. Polygamy Ban.
- 1894 – The first playoff game for the Stanley Cup starts.
- 1895 First public showing of a motion picture on a screen by French inventors Auguste and Louis Lumiere.
- 1904 First color newspaper pictures in the London Daily Illustrated Mirror.
- 1931 William Shatner Canadian Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actor from Star Trek was born.
- 1931 American physicist who shared (with Samuel C. C. Ting) the 1976 Nobel Prize for Physics for the discovery of a new subatomic particle, the J/psi particle was born.
- 1948 Andrew Lloyd Webber British musical composer was born.
- 1733 – Joseph Priestly invented carbonated water (seltzer).
- 1948 – Wolf Blitzer, American journalist was born.
- 1952 – Bob Costas, American sportscaster was born.
- 1972 The U.S. Supreme Court rules Massachusetts’ law banning the possession of contraceptive devices by unmarried people is unconstitutional.
- 1972 27th Amendment passed by the Senate, prohibiting discrimination based on sex.
- 1992 – Fall of communism in Albania: The Democratic Party of Albania wins a decisive majority in the parliamentary election.
- 2006 – Three Christian Peacemaker Team (CPT) hostages are freed by British forces in Baghdad after 118 days of captivity and the murder of their colleague from the U.S., Tom Fox.
- 2006 Addwaita the 250-year-old giant tortoise dies.
- 2016 – Explosions from suicide bombers kill at least 26 in Brussels.
- 2017 – Toys ‘R’ Us Founder Charles Lazarus dies at 94 sadly as this week all the stores are closing their doors for good.
- 2017 – ‘Stranger Things’ stars cheer up kid after classmates fail to attend birthday party.
For all of March Daily Holidays Visit: