May 12th Holidays, Observances and Awareness Days
There are some serious awareness days to observe today as well as a couple “nutty” ones.
May 12th Zodiac Sign is Taurus
Taurus is the second astrological sign in the present zodiac. The Sun is in the sign of Taurus.
Time period: April 20 – May 21
Ruling planet: Venus
Zodiac quality: Fixed
Birthstones: Emerald, Diamond, Sapphire, Garnet, Rose quartz
Famous Tauruses: Dwayne Johnson, Queen Elizabeth II, Megan Fox, George Clooney, Adele, Mark Zuckerberg, Shakespeare, David Beckham, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
May 12th Trivia
- 254 – Pope Stephen I succeeds Pope Lucius I as the 23rd pope.
- 1191 – Richard I of England marries Berengaria of Navarre who is crowned Queen consort of England the same day.
- 1588 – Henry III of France flees Paris after Henry I, Duke of Guise enters the city and a spontaneous uprising occurs.
- 1862 – Federal troops occupy Baton Rouge, Louisiana in the Civil War.
- 1937 – The Duke and Duchess of York are crowned as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Westminster Abbey.
- 1950 – Billy Squier, American singer-songwriter and guitarist was born.
- 1962 – Emilio Estevez, American actor from Breakfast Club and Young Guns was born.
- 1963 – Vanessa A. Williams, American actress and producer was born.
- 1968 – Catherine Tate, English actress and screenwriter was born.
- 2002 – Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro, becoming the first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro’s 1959 revolution.
- 2008 – An earthquake (measuring around 8.0 magnitude) occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 69,000 people.
- 2015 – Massive Nepal earthquake kills 218 people and injures more than 3500.