May 13th Holidays, Observances and Awareness Days
Everyday is full of holidays, some funny, some quirky, some serious and some that you should totally celebrate! Look through today’s list and see if anything applies to you and find a way to celebrate or honor it!
May 13th Zodiac Sign is Taurus
Taurus is the second astrological sign in the present zodiac. The Sun is in the sign of Taurus.
Time period: April 20 – May 21
Ruling planet: Venus
Zodiac quality: Fixed
Birthstones: Emerald, Diamond, Sapphire, Garnet, Rose quartz
Famous Tauruses: Dwayne Johnson, Queen Elizabeth II, Megan Fox, George Clooney, Adele, Mark Zuckerberg, Shakespeare, David Beckham, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
May 13th Trivia
- 1607 First permanent English settlement in North America, Jamestown, Va., is founded, by Captain John Smith.
- 1917 – Children See Virgin Mary Three shepherd children claim to have seen the Virgin Mary in Fátima, Portugal.
- 1922 Beatrice Arthur d. 2009 (Bernice Frankel), American Tony-Emmy-winning actress, and served as a U.S. Marine during WWII. TV: Maude (Maude Findlay) and The Golden Girls (Dorothy). is born.
- 1941 Ritchie Valens d. 1959 (Richard Valenzuela), American singer. Music: Donna is born.
- 1950 Stevie Wonder (Steveland Morris), American singer. Music: Superstition (1972, #1), Ebony and Ivory (1982, #1), and I Just Called To Say I Love You is born.
- 1964 – Stephen Tyrone Colbert is an American comedian, television host, os born in Washington DC.
- 1960 – Steve Wonder. American singer was born in Saginaw, MI.
- 1981 – Pope John Paul II Shot Escaped Turkish terrorist Mehmet Ali Ağca shoots Pope John Paul II in St. Peter’s Square at Vatican City. The Pope was struck four times but survived,
- 1883 George Papanikolaou d. 1962 Greek-born American physician. Inventor of the Pap Smear test for cervical cancer is born.
- 1985 Police Burn Down a Philadelphia Neighborhood Eleven people are killed and more than 60 homes are destroyed as a result of the police bombing the heavily-armed home of the radical group “MOVE.” The police were attempting to end a two-day siege.
- 1986 – Robert Douglas Thomas Pattinson, English actor, from the movie, “Twilight” is born.
- 1987 – Candice Rene King is an American actress, singer, and songwriter. She portrayed the role of Caroline Forbes on The CW television drama series The Vampire Diaries.
- 1992 – While on a walk across America to prove that people are basically good, Fred Turner is robbed and pushed off a bridge but survived.
- 1992 – Joey Buttafuoco’s 17-year-old girlfriend, Amy Fisher (aka The Long Island Lolita), shoots his wife at their home but she survives.
- 2013 Dr. Joyce Brothers, American psychologist, newspaper columnist, radio and TV host. passes away,