May 15th Holidays, Observances and Awareness Days
Are you wondering what today is celebrated for? Well everyday has holidays or observances to celebrate or be aware of. Some may be fun or silly and others educational and of important matters. Please check out our daily holiday list for today and see if there is anything you would like to learn about.
International Conscientious Objectors Day
International Day of Families
International MPS Awareness Day
National Chocolate Chip Day
National Safety Dose Day
National Tuberous Sclerosis Day
Nylon Stockings Day
Peace Officers Memorial Day
Relive Your Past By Listening to the First Music You Ever Bought No Matter What It Was
Straw Hat Day
Stepmothers Day (first Sunday after Mother’s Day)
Historical Events that happened on May15
- 884 Marinus I ends his reign as Catholic Pope
- 1252 Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bull ad exstirpanda, which authorizes, but also limits, the torture of heretics in the Medieval Inquisition.
- 1525 The battle of Frankenhausen: German peasant army surrounded, 5,000 slaughtered which ends the peasants’ uprising.
- 1902 Lyman Gilmore is 1st person to fly a powered craft but all records of his claim were lost in a 1935 hangar fire.
- 1944 14,000 Jews of Munkacs Hungary deported to Auschwitz.
- 1963 Peter, Paul and Mary a Grammy.
- 1974 Mail truck terrorists take school in Maalot, 30 killed
- Jane Seymour and James Kesch get married.
- 1995 China performs nuclear test at Lop Nor PRC
- 2012 France swears in Francois Hollande, it’s 24th President.
- 2012 U.S. scientists develop a device that can generate electricity from genetically-engineered viruses; these piezoelectric materials are a step toward the development of personal power generators
- 2014 A German company named, “Linde” began constructing a facility to convert wind power to hydrogen; in efforts to increase reliance on renewable energy sources
- 2015 Google began testing self-driving cars on the streets of Mountain View, California.
- 2017 The New York Times writes an article titled, “Trump’s Madness Invites Mutiny.”