Thanks for stopping by, “Time for the Holidays.” Each day is full of holidays, awareness days and different observances that most people don’t even know about! See if there is anything you would like to observe today.
May 9th Holidays
May 9th Zodiac Sign is Taurus
Taurus is the second astrological sign in the present zodiac. The Sun is in the sign of Taurus.
Time period: April 20 – May 21
Ruling planet: Venus
Zodiac quality: Fixed
Birthstones: Emerald, Diamond, Sapphire, Garnet, Rose quartz
Famous Tauruses: Dwayne Johnson, Queen Elizabeth II, Megan Fox, George Clooney, Adele, Mark Zuckerberg, Shakespeare, David Beckham, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
May 9th Trivia
1754 – First cartoon published in an American newspaper. “Join or Die” by Ben Franklin in the Pennsylvania Gazette. It depicted a snake cut into segments, each representing a colony.
- 1879 – First U.S. Postage-Due Stamps are issued.
- 1939 – The First American Indian was beatified by the Catholic Church.
- 1946 Candice Bergen American Emmy-winning actress. TV Murphy Brown was born today as was her character Murphy Brown.
- 1949 Billy Joel American Grammy-winning singer, was born.
- 1950 – A bear cub is rescued from a New Mexico fire, becoming the symbol for forest fire prevention otherwise known as, “Smokey the Bear.”
- 1974 – Watergate Impeachment hearings against U.S. President Nixon begin.
- 1982 – Dean Martin is arrested for driving while intoxicated in West Hollywood.
- 2010 – Lena Horne, American singer, actress passed away.
- 2012 Vidal Sassoon b. 1928 English hair stylist, beauty salon founder passes away.