All About August 27th
Holidays, Horoscopes and Trivia
August 27th Holidays
- “The Duchess” Who Wasn’t Day
On August 27th we honor “Margaret Wolfe Hungerford. She was an irish novelist who was always published under the pen name “The Duchess.” Margaret is responsible for the phrase “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.
- Just Because Day
August 27th – Joseph J. Goodwin from of Los Gatos, California, created Just Because Day in the 1950s. It began as a family holiday and grew into an annual celebration across the United States. It’s a day meant to do thing you want to do, just because. So eat that cookie, go to the beach, call in to work. Why? Just Because.
- Kiss Me Day (First Kiss Day)
August 27th commemorates Popeye’s first kiss with Olive Oyl. The first kiss between Popeye and Olive Oyl happened in a comic strip on August 27, 1929, and was followed by Olive Oyl exclaiming, “Oh. Excuse me Popeye—I imagined you were my lover.”
- National Banana Lovers Day
August 27th celebrates bananas. So here is a scrumptious Banana Cream Pie Recipe for you to try out!
- National Petroleum Day
August 27th celebrates everyone who works in the oil and gas industries, and used as a platform to gather and discuss the may issues that face the industry. Petroleum was discovered by Edwin L. Drake on August 27, 1858 in Titusville, Pennsylvania. He struck oil 70 feet beneath the surface in Titusville, thus launching the modern-day petroleum industry in the USA.
- National Pots de Crème Day
August 27th celebrates Pots de Crème so here is a recipe for you to try out.
- Tarzan Day
August 27th celebrates Tarzan, a fictional character created by author Edgar Rice Burroughs. Tarzan was raised in the African jungle by apes after the his parents died. He eventually meets and falls in love with Jane after she and her explorer father get trapped on the island where Tarzan lives.
August 27th Zodiac Sign is a Virgo
Dates: August 23 – September 22
Symbol: Maiden Virgin
Colord: Grey, Beige, Pale-Yellow
Lucky Numbers: 5, 14, 15, 23, 32
Personality Traits: Very hard working and very loyal. Perfectionist to a fault, can be critical of others.
Famous Virgos: Michael Jackson, Paul Walker, Cameron Diaz, Mother Theresa, Stephen King, Warren Buffet, John McCain, Leo Tolstoy, Van Morrison. Chandra Wilson, Aaron Paul.
August 27th Trivia
- 1172 – King Henry II of England crowns his heirs, Henry the Young King and Queen Margaret, but without giving them no actual authority.
- 1908 – Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the United States was born in Stonewall, .
- 1939 – First flight of the turbojet-powered Heinkel He 178, the world’s first jet aircraft.
- 1956 – The nuclear power station at Calder Hall in the United Kingdom was connected to the national power grid becoming the world’s first commercial nuclear power station to generate electricity on an industrial scale.
- 1962 – The first successful mission to Venus, Mariner 2 unmanned space mission is launched to Venus by NASA.
- 1969 – Cesar Millan, known as the “dog whisperer” was born in Mazatlán, Mexico.
- 1969 – Chandra Wilson, American actress known for her fole as Dr Bailey in Grey’s Anatomy was born in Houston, Tx.
- 1972 – The Great Khali, Indian professional wrestler was born in Dhiraina, India.
- 1979 – Aaron Paul, American actor known for his roles in Breaking Bad and The Path was in Emmett, ID.
- 2003 – Mars comes closer to the Earth than it has in nearly 60,000 years, passing 34,646,418 miles distant.
- 2003 – The first six-party talks, involving South and North Korea, the United States, China, Japan and Russia, convene to find a peaceful resolution to the security concerns of the North Korean nuclear weapons program.
- 2011 – Hurricane Irene strikes the United States east coast, killing 47 and causing an estimated $15.6 billion in damage.
- 2011- World Record set: The largest underwater wedding with 303 divers who attended the marriage ceremony between Ewa Staronska and Pawel Burkowski at the Koparki Diving Base, Jaworzno, Poland.
Thank you to our sources for info and graphics, Wiki, Checkiday and Pixabay.