All About August 6th
Holidays, Horoscopes and Trivia
August 6th Holidays
- Corporate Baby Name Day
Jason Black and Frances Schroeder, a New York State couple, tried to auction off the naming rights of their baby on Yahoo! and eBay. They started the bidding at $500,000, but no one bid. In response to this, American Baby conducted a poll asking if parents would sell the naming rights of their babies to a corporation for $500,000. 21 % said they would. Would you let some random cooperation name your baby?
- Hiroshima Day
On August 6, 1945, an American B-29 bomber dropped an atomic bomb over Hiroshima, Japan. The bombing killed nearly 80,000 people instantly and tens of thousands more died later of radiation exposure. Today we honor all those killed in this terrible bombing and learn about the impact that atomic bombs have over people and the environment.
- National Fresh Breath Day
National Fresh Breath Day is observed every year on August 6th to create awareness of oral hygiene in the fight against bad breath.
- National Root Beer Float Day
Today on August 6th we celebrate that delicious concoction of root beer poured over vanilla ice cream in a frosty mug!
- National Gossip Day
National Gossip Day is celebrated on the anniversary of the birth of gossip columnist Louella Parsons who was born on August 6, 1881. Learn more about Louella and the history of today here.
- Wiggle Your Toes Day
Today we celebrate those little guys at the end of your feet that are stuck in socks and shoes all year round! Take them out, go barefoot and let them feel the grass today!
August 6th Horoscope Sign is Leo
Date range: July 23 – August 22
Color: Gold, Yellow, Orange
Lucky Numbers: 1, 3, 10, 19
Traits: Leos are compassionate, caring, warmhearted people but also be arrogant, self centered and stubborn.
Famous Leos: Jennifer Lopez, Barack Obama, Sandra Bullock, Daniel Radcliffe, Alfred Hitchcock, Ben Affleck, Mila Kunis. Shaun Mendes, Kylie Jenner, Cole Sprouse, Demi Lovato, Jennifer Lawrence, Tom Brady, Dua Lipa, Olivia Holt and Maia Mitchell, Paul Wesley, Chris Hemsworth
August 6th Trivia
- 1911 – Lucille Ball was born in Jamestown, NY.
- 1930 – Judge Joseph Force Crater steps into a taxi in New York and disappears never to be seen again becoming one of the most mysterious vanishing cases.
- 1945 – The United States drops the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan killing 70,000 people are killed and terminally injuring tens of thousands which would slowly die from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1962 – Jamaica became independent from the United Kingdom.
- 1965 – US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965 into law to prevent discrimination in race for votes
- 1986 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Papa Don’t Preach,” by Madonna.
- 1988 – The #1 movie in the US was Cocktail starring Tom Cruise and Elisabeth Shue.
- 1996 – NASA announces that the ALH 84001 meteorite, thought to originate from Mars, contains evidence of primitive life-forms.
- 2012 – NASA’s Curiosity rover lands on the surface of Mars.
- 2014 – Argentine grandmother finds grandson 36 years after his abduction.
- 2017 – Protests against racism and white supremacists spread across cities nationwide on in response to the deadly violence at Saturday’s white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Trump fails to recognize this problem upsetting many Americans.
- 2020 – Cardigan by Taylor Swift is the #1 song in the US. [Top100Billboards]
Thank you to the sources of info and graphics for this post: Wiki, Pixabay and Checkiday.