All About December 31st
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
Happy December 31st! It’s almost the end of the year and a lot of focus has been put on Christmas, Hanukkah and soon New Year’s Eve. But each day has lesser known holidays you may not have heard of. So today we list the day’s holidays and observances, the traits of horoscope sign Capricorn and list the day’s history and ohter random events that have taken place throughout history. Happy Birthday if it’s your birthday. If you are just stopping by for fun, we hope you learn something new!
December 31st Holidays
- Make Up Your Mind Day
If there is something happening in your life, and you can’t make up your mind on how to handle it, today is the day to do so. No more wavering or putting things off, make up your mind and follow through today!
- National Champagne Day
Well of course this day would fall on New Year’s Eve! Who doesn’t bring in the holiday with a champagne toast?
- New Year’s Eve
It’s the end of the year and time to say goodbye to the last year and hello to the new!
- Universal Hour of Peace Day
This day was founded by Dr. Barbara, to find peace in this hectic world. Everyone is encouraged to meditate together or at least one hour between the hours starting at 3..45 a.m. on December 31st and end at midnight. Learn more at: http://www.som.org/10global/peace/peace25th.htm.
- Unlucky Day
December 31st is the day to get all the bad luck out of the way so you can bring in a lucky new year!
- World Peace Meditation Day
On December 31st there is a global movement to try to get as many people as we can to meditate together on the same day. The hope is to promote world peace and togetherness. Learn more at: https://www.peaceday2021.com/events/global-synchronized-meditation/.
Memes to Share on Social Media
Sources for Holiday Info: National Day
Ruling planet: Saturn
Sign ruler: Saturn, Uranus
Lucky Numbers: 4, 8, 13, 22
Personality Traits: Solid, Stable, Traditional, Loves Quality.
Famous Capricorns: Tiger Woods Stephen Hawking, Bradley Cooper, Jim Carrey, Elvis Presley, Issac Newton, Muhammed Ali, Mel Gibson.
December 31st Trivia
- 1790 – Efimeris, the oldest Greek newspaper of which issues have survived till today, is published for the first time.
- 1796 – The incorporation of Baltimore as a city.
- 1857 – Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, then a small logging town, as the capital of Canada.
- 1907 – The first New Year’s Eve celebration is held in Times Square (then known as Longacre Square) in Manhattan.
- 1937 – Anthony Hopkins, Welsh actor was born in Margam, United Kingdom.
- 1943 – John Denver, American singer-songwriter was born in Roswell, NM,
- 1946 – President Harry S. Truman officially proclaims the end of hostilities in World War II.
- 1948 – Donna Summer, American singer-songwriter was born in Boston, MA,
- 1959 – Val Kilmer, American actor was born in , Los Angeles, CA,
- 1999 – First President of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, resigns from office, leaving Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as the acting President and successor.
- 1999 – The last day of the 20th Century and 2nd Millennium.
- 2009 – Both a blue moon and a lunar eclipse occur.
- 2010 – A total 36 tornadoes touched down in the Midwest states, resulting in the deaths of nine people and $113 million in damages.
- 2015 – Natalie Cole, American singer-songwriter and actress passed away from congestive heart failure.
- 2015 – Wayne Rogers, who is known for playing Trapper John on TV series, MASH, passed away at 82 from complications from pneumonia.
- 2017 – George Papadopoulos, in a drunken confession to Alexander Downer, the Australian high commissioner to the United Kingdom, said he knew that he knew Moscow had damaging information on Hillary Clinton. This confession is believed to be what launched the investigation into Trump and his connections to Russia.
- 2017 – The U.S. military canl accept openly transgender recruits after the Trump Department of Justice dropped its legal challenge to multiple court rulings against Trump’s surprise announcement on Twitter a couple months prior that he would “not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity.
- 2021 – Betty White, beloved actress from Gold Girls and Mary Tyler Moore passes away peacefully at home just shy of her 100th birthday. She will be buried next to her husband Allen Ludden in Mineral Point, Wisconsin.[People]
At 11:59pm tonight, everyone should toast to Betty White pic.twitter.com/9NzBVC3kQn
— Jesse Ferguson (@JesseFFerguson) December 31, 2021