All About December 9th
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
December 9th Holidays
- Christmas Card Day
- International Anti-Corruption Day
- International Day of Veterinary Medicine
- National Pastry Day
- Weary Willie Day
December 9th Zodiac Sign is Sagittarius
See who you are compatible with, what your colors are, what personality traits you might have and which famous celebrities share your Zodiac sign.
If you were born today then you are a Sagittarius.
Time period: November 22 – December 21
Ruling planet: Jupiter
Birthstones: Topaz, Turquoise, Tanzanite, Zircon, Citrine
Famous Sagittariuses: Scarlett Johansson, Hailey Baldwin, Jaime Lee Curtis, Nicki Minaj, Brad Pitt, Taylor Swift, Katie Holmes, Miley Cyrus, Bill Nye, Bruce Lee, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Sinatra, Ozzy Osborne, Nostradamus, Walt Disney, Woody Allen and Mark Twain.
What do these 3 Celebrities have in Common?
December 9th Trivia
- 1531 – The Virgin of Guadalupe first appears to Juan Diego at Tepeyac, Mexico City.
- 1851 – The first YMCA in North America is established in Montreal.
- 1872 – In Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first African-American governor of a U.S. state.
- 1897 – Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper La Fronde in Paris.
- 1905 – In France, the law separating church and state is passed.
- 1916 – Kirk Douglas, American actor was born in Amsterdam, NY.
- 1929 – Businessman Howard Hughes divorces 1st wife Ella Rice after 4 years of marriage.
- 1934 – Judi Dench, Actress was born in Heworth, York, United Kingdom.
- 1941 – Beau Bridges, American actor, director, and producer was born in Los Angeles, California.
- 1946 – The “Subsequent Nuremberg trials” begin with the “Doctors’ trial”, prosecuting physicians and officers alleged to be involved in Nazi human experimentation and mass murder under the guise of euthanasia.
- 1948 – The Genocide Convention is adopted.
- 1950 – Cold War: Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- 1953 – John Malkovich, American actor was born in Christopher, IL.
- 1957 – Donny Osmond, American singer was born in Ogden, UT.
- 1962 – The Petrified Forest National Park is established in Arizona.
- 1965 –:A fireball is seen from Michigan to Pennsylvania; witnesses report something crashing in the woods near Pittsburgh which became known as the Kecksburg UFO Incident.
- 1965 – A Charlie Brown Christmas, first in a series of Peanuts television specials, debuts on CBS.
- 1967 – Lyndon B. Johnson’s daughter Lynda gets married in the White House.
- 1979 – The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first of only two diseases that have been driven to extinction besides rinderpest in 2011.
- 1987 – The song, “Faith” by George Michael was the #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboards.
- 1989 – Actor David Hasselhoff marries actress Pamela Bach at the Little Brown Church in Studio City, California.
- 1992 – American troops land in Somalia for Operation Restore Hope.
- 1995 – The song, “Roll To Me” by Del Amitri was the #1 song in the Top 40 Billboard.
- 2005 – Actor Matt Damon weds Argentine-born Luciana Barrosa at the Manhattan Marriage Bureau near New York City Hall.
- 2006 – From the British show, “The Office” actress Lucy Davis marries actor Owain Yeoman at the St. Paul’s Cathedral in London.
- 2008 – The Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, is arrested by federal officials for crimes including attempting to sell the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.
- 2011 – Singer Sinead O’Connor marries Irish therapist Barry Herridge at the Little White Chapel in Las Vegas.
- 2017 – Australia becomes the 26th country to legalize same-sex marriage.