All About July 22nd
Trivia, Horoscope and Holidays
July 22nd Holidays
- Hammock Day
Hammocks were invented by the native-born people of Middle and South America, who called them “Hamacas” They are said to have been introduced to Christopher Columbus by the Taino people of the Bahamas on his voyages to the New World, and he then brought the concept back to the Europeans. Hammocks are a universal symbol or relaxation. So today, July 22nd, just relax and enjoy the day, in a hammock if you have one.
- Lion’s Share Day
The “Lion’s Share” expression comes from one of Aesop’s fables, where a lion asks animals to help him hunt, and then afterwards tells them reasons why he should get to keep all parts of the spoils. So today, it’s not about equal portion, it’s about taking what is yours, and maybe a little more. Should we be encouraging this holiday?
- Mary Magdalene Feast Day July 22nd
As expressly wished by the Pope Francis, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has published a new decree, dated 3 June 2016, Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, by which the celebration of St. Mary Magdalene, currently obligatory memory, will be elevated in the general calendar to the level of a feast day.
- National Mango Day
July 22nd is National Mango Day! So enjoy a mango or two and learn more about them at Mango.org!
- National Penuche Fudge Day
On July 22nd we celebrate Penuche, fudge-like candy includes the following ingredients: brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and milk and tastes like maple. Here is a recipe for you to try out of Old Fashioned Penuche.
- National Ratcatcher’s Day
National Rat Catcher’s Day on July 22nd commemorates the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin.
- Pi Approximation Day
July 22 is Pi Approximation Day. Also known as Casual Pi Day, the day is dedicated to the mathematical constant pi (π).
- Spoonerism Day
A spoonerism is an error in speech in which corresponding consonants, vowels, or morphemes are switched between two words in a phrase. Example: “A blushing crow.” (“crushing blow”). So today, July 22nd we celebrate these little speech mix ups!
- Summer Leisure Day
I guess it makes sense to have Hammock Day and Summer Leisure Day on the same day! I think the point of today is to relax and have some summer fun!
July 22nd Horoscope Sign is Cancer
Time period: June 21 – July 22
Ruling planet: Moon
Birthstones: Moonstone, Emerald, Ruby, Pearl
Lucky Numbers: 2, 3, 15, 20
Personality Traits: Loyal, creative, imaginative, manipulative.
Famous Cancers: Selena Gomez, Elon Musk, Princess Diana, Tom Cruise, Sylvester Stallone, Vin Diesel, Robin Williams, Tom Hanks, George Michael, Nikola Tesla.
July 22nd’s History, Trivia, Birthdays and #1 Songs and Movies
- 1210 – Joan of England, Queen of Scotland was born.
- 1933 – Aviator Wiley Post returns to Floyd Bennett Field in New York City, completing the first solo flight around the world in seven days, 18 hours and 49 minutes.
- 1939 – The #1 song in the US was Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland.
- 1951 – The #1 song was Too Young by Nat King Cole.
- 1957 – The #1 movie was Loving You starring Elvis Presley.
- 1966 – The #1 movie in the US was Batman.
- 1975 – The #1 song in the US was Listen to What the Man Said by Wings.
- 1984 -The #1 song in the US was When Doves Cry by Prince.
- 1988 – The #1 movie was Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
- 1990 – Greg LeMond, an American road racing cyclist, wins his third Tour de France.
- 1992 – Selena Gomez, American singer and actress was born in Prairie, TX.
- 2013 – A series of earthquakes in Dingxi, China, kills at least 89 people and injures more than 500 others.
- 2017 – Sean Spicer resigns as White House press secretary.
July Monthly Observances
- Bereaved Parents Month
- Bioterrorism/Disaster Education & Awareness Month
- Family Reunion Month
- Family Golf Month
- Freedom From Fear of Speaking Month
- Hemochromatosis Screening Awareness Month
- Herbal/Prescription Awareness Month
- International Blondie and Deborah Harry Month
- International Group B Strep Awareness Month
- International Women with Alopecia Month
- International Zine Month
- National Anti-Boredom Month
- National Wheelchair Beautification Month
- National Black Family Month
- National Blueberry Month
- National Cell Phone Courtesy Month
- National Child-Centered Divorce Month
- National “Doghouse Repairs” Month
- National Grilling Month
- National Horseradish Month
- National Hot Dog Month
- National Ice Cream Month
- National Make A Difference to Children Month
- National Recreation & Parks Month
- National Share A Sunset With Your Lover Month
- Sandwich Generation Month
- Smart Irrigation Month
- Unlucky Month for weddings
- National Picnic Month
- Social Wellness Month Tour de France Month