All About June 16th
Trivia, Holidays and Horoscope
Welcome to Time for the Holidays! Today we will discuss the history behind the daily holidays. We will list the celebrity birthday of people born on June 6th along with the horoscope traits that come with being a Gemini. We will also list a bunch if June 6th trivia including historical events. If it’s your birthday tell us below in the comments so we can wish you a Happy Birthday!
June 16th Holidays
Bloomsday is a commemoration and celebration of the life of Irish writer James Joyce, observed annually in Dublin and elsewhere on 16 June, the day his 1922 novel Ulysses takes place in 1904, the date of his first outing with his wife-to-be, Nora Barnacle, and named after its protagonist Leopold Bloom.
- Fresh Veggies Day
Now that it is gardening season, today is a great time to remind yourself to eat your veggies!
- International Day of the African Child
The Day of the African Child has been celebrated on June 16 every year since 1991, when it was first initiated by the OAU Organisation of African Unity. It honors those who participated in the Soweto Uprising in 1976 on that day. It also raises awareness of the continuing need for improvement of the education provided to African children.
- Ladies’ Initiated in Baseball Day
Ladies Day was a popular marketing campaign in the 1920s and 1930s that offered free entry into professional baseball games for women 16 or older. It was particularly successful at Wrigley Field, and spread across Major League Baseball into the 1980s. Learn more at https://baseballhall.org/discover/shortstops/ladies-day-promotions-gave-women-the-chance-to-cheer
- National Fudge Day
Every June 16th we celebrate that lovely chocolate creation we call fudge. Here is an Easy Fudge Recipe for you to try to help you celebrate!
- National Vinegar Day
Vinegar has so many benefits, from enhancing flavors with food to cleaning your house. If you want to know about vinegar, then this book is a must read. The Vinegar Cupboard.
- No Orange Clothes Day
Observed on June 16th, No Orange Clothes Day commemorates the day in 1784 when the wearing of orange was banned in the Netherlands. Why were orange clothes banned in the Netherlands? Read why here. https://www.checkiday.com/bedb91bdab22e3413cf63f3bf33987e8/no-orange-clothes-day
- Wish Fulfillment Day
So today, June 16th, you are supposed to take the first step towards making your dreams come true. You know the secret wishes you have in the back of your head, well today, start to bring them to life!
- World Sea Turtle Day
World Sea Turtle Day, June 16th, is a day used to honor and highlight the importance of sea turtles. We celebrate on this day to honor Dr. Archie Carr, STC’s founder and “father of sea turtle biology.” World Sea Turtle Day is celebrated the same day as Dr. Carr’s birthday, June 16.
June 16th Zodiac
Time period: May 21 – June 21
Ruling planet: Mercury
Zodiac quality: Mutable
Color: Light-Green, Yellow
Lucky Numbers: 5, 7, 14, 23
Strengths: Gentle, affectionate, curious, adaptable, ability to learn quickly and exchange ideas.
Geminis like books and talking a lot and going on trips.
Weaknesses: Geminis have a nervous energy, they can be inconsistent and have a hard time making up their mind. They don’t like routines, they get bored easy and they love being spontaneous.
Famous Geminis: Johnny Depp, Angelina Joli, Marilyn Monroe, John F. Kennedy, Naomi Cambell, Donald Trump, Kanye West, Tupac Shakir, Prince, North West, Morgan Freeman, Paul McCartney, Clint Eastwood, Mark Wahlberg, Natalie Portman, Nicole Kidman, Helena Bonham Carter, Lauryn Hill, Judy Garland, Venus Williams, John Wayne, Shia LaBeouf, Micheal J. Fox, Che Guevara, Tim Allen, Rafael Nadal. Vincent Price, Elizabeth Hurley, Bob Hope, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Zachary Quinto, Annette Bening, Greg Kinnear, Greg Kinnear, Anne Heche.
June 16th Trivia
- 1929 – Geronimo, medicine man from the Bedonkohe band of the Chiricahua Apache tribe was born in New Mexico.
- 1963 –Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman in space on the Soviet Space Program: Vostok 6 Mission.
- 1971 – Tupac Shakur, American rapper, was born in East Harlem, NY.
- 2010 – 2010 – Bhutan becomes the first country to institute a total ban on tobacco.
- 2012 – China launches Shenzhou 9 spacecraft, carrying three astronauts, including the first female Chinese astronaut Liu Yang, to the Tiangong-1 orbital module.
- 2012 – The United States Air Force’s robotic Boeing X-37B spaceplane returns to Earth after a classified 469-day orbital mission.
- 2016 – Shanghai Disneyland Park, the first Disney Park in Mainland China opens to the public.
- 2020 – Yohan, the late singer of the Seoul-based K-pop group TST died on June 16, at the age of 28.
June Awareness Observances
- Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month
- Aphasia Awareness Month
- Cataract Awareness Month
- Hernia Awareness Month
- LGBT Pride Month
- Men’s Health Month
- Migraine and Headache Awareness Month
- Myasthenia Gravis Month
- PTSD Awareness Month
- Scleroderma Awareness Month