All About November 6th
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
November 6th Holidays
- Basketball Day
On November 6, 1861 James Naismith was born. Naismith was a physical education teacher at a YMCA in Massachusetts when he nailed two peach baskets to the balcony at both ends of a gymnasium. He divided his students into teams and they tossed balls into the baskets creating the game of basketball.
- International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict
The International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict is an international day observed annually on November 6. Learn more at https://www.un.org/en/observances/environment-in-war-protection-day.
- Marooned Without a Compass Day
Today on November 6th we honor the old-fashioned GPS we call a compass. If you have one tucked away somewhere bring it out and show the kids. Play desert island or a game to show them how it works.
- National Nachos Day
In 1943 Ignacio “Nacho” Anaya created nachos in 1943. Nicknamed Nacho, he was the maître d’ at the El Moderno Restaurant in Piedras Negras. One night after the kitchen staff had gone home, a group of U.S. Army wives stationed at Fort Duncan in Eagle Pass came into the restaurant looking for a meal. Nacho whipped up a dish with the leftover ingredient he could find, tortillas, cheese and jalapenos and voila, nachos were born! Learn more trivia about nachos here.
- National Saxophone Day
National Saxophone Day is celebrated on November 6, on the birthday of Antoine-Joseph ‘Adolphe’ Sax, the inventor of the saxophone.
November 6th Zodiac Sign
See who you are compatible with, what your colors are, what personality traits you might have and which famous celebrities share your Zodiac sign.
If you were born today then you are a Scorpio.
Date range: October 23 – November 21 (Occasionally Nov 22 falls into Scorpio too.)
Color: Scarlet, Red, Rust
Ruler: Pluto, Mars
Greatest Overall Compatibility: Taurus, Cancer
Lucky Numbers: 8, 11, 18, 22
Personality Traits: Smart, resourceful, very brave, passionate, but can be really stubborn, jealous, sometimes even violent and doesn’t trust many people.
Famous Scorpios: Leonardo DiCaprio, Anne Hathaway, Ryan Gossling, Christopher Columbus, Bill Gates, Pablo Picasso Julia Roberts, Hillary Clinton, Caitlyn Jenner, Whoopi Goldberg, Marie Curie, Condoleeza Rice.
November 6th Trivia
- 447 – A powerful earthquake destroys large portions of the Walls of Constantinople, including 57 towers.
- 1860 – Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States.
- 1913 – Mohandas Gandhi is arrested while leading a march of Indian miners in South Africa.
- 1946 – Sally Field, American actress was born in Pasadena, California.
- 1947 – Meet the Press, the longest running television program in history, makes its debut.
- 1948 – Glenn Frey, American singer from the band, The Eagles was born in Detroit, MI.
- 1955 – Maria Shriver, American journalist was born in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1956 – Dwight D. Eisenhower is reelected President of the United States.
- 1970 – Ethan Hawke, American actor was born in Austin, Texas.
- 1971 – The United States Atomic Energy Commission tests the largest U.S. underground hydrogen bomb, code-named Cannikin, on Amchitka Island in the Aleutians.
- 1978 – Taryn Manning, American actress was born in Falls Church, VA.
- 1979 – Lamar Odom, American basketball player was born in South Jamaica, New York City, NY.
- 1984 – Ronald Reagan is reelected President of the United States.
- 1988 – Emma Stone, American actress was born in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- 1989 – Aaron Hernandez, Football tight end was born in Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center, Lancaster, MA.
- 2010 – The top song on the billboard was Like A G6 by Far*East Movement Featuring Cataracs & Dev.
- 2012 – Barack Obama is reelected President of the United Statesl
- 2012 – Tammy Baldwin becomes the first openly gay politician to be elected to the United States Senate.
- 2019 – Eight U.S. children survived an attack by drug cartel gunmen managed to hide in the brush, with some walking miles to get help despite bullet wounds.