All About October 10th
Holidays, Horoscope and History
October 10th Holidays
- Hug a Drummer Day
October 10th is Hug a Drummer Day. If you have a favorite drummer and are able, give him a hug. If you have a favorite drummer you can’t hug, then give him a shout out on social media!
- International Stage Management Day
A lot goes into stage management whether it’s for a band on tour or a Broadway production. So let’s give a shout out to all those that keep the shows safe and coming!
- National Angel Food Cake Day
Today, on October 10th we celebrate this yummy light and fluffy cake. Here is a recipe for you to try out.
- National Cake Decorating Day
October 10th recognizes those who have a unique talent in decorating our cakes. Cakes are often the center of events such as wedding and birthdays so thank you to those of you patient and talented enough to make our cakes so delicious and beautiful.
- National Hug-a-Kevin Day
October 10, became National Hug-a-Kevin Day in honor of the television show Kevin (Probably) Saves the World. Today encourages people to hug those they know named Kevin. Actor Jason Ritter, who starred as Kevin Finn on the show, broke the Guinness World Record for most hugs in a minute by an individual, when he appeared on The View and gave 86 hugs.
- National Handbag Day
October 10th is all about the pouch, clutch, purse or whatever you call your handbag. Thank goodness for these little bags to carry our wallets, phones, makeup, credit cards and everything else in! Not to mention the fashion statement you can make with yours!
- National Love Your Hair Day
Created by Carolyn Aronson, on October 10th we are encouraged to celebrate all types and styles of hair.
- National Metric Day
National Metric Day is October 10. Why? Because it’s 10/10 and the number 10 is pivotal to the metric system.
- National SHIFT10 Day
SHIFT10 Day was created by Scott’s Marketplace in 2016 to encourage shoppers to shift 10% of their spending into their to their local small businesses to boost their local economies.
- National Tuxedo Day
There are two schools of thoughts when it comes to who invented the tuxedo. Some say the tuxedo was invented by Pierre Lorillard IV of New York City but some historians believe that the tuxedo was invented by King Edward VII. Whatever you believe today is a day to honor these crazy expensive suits!
- Powers of Ten Day
Powers of Ten Day is for those wanting to extend their boundaries of thinking. This day recognizes Charles and Ray Eames’ 1977 film ‘Powers of Ten”. The film and the day are all about celebrating the potential in adjusting perspective with scale, viewed from the beautiful natural order of math and science.
- Squid and Cuttlefish Day
also known as Squidturday, is celebrated on October 10th. Squid have a flexible, feather-shaped structure inside their bodies called the pen, whereas cuttlefish have a broader internal shell called the cuttlebone. So whether you like one, or both, today is the day to celebrate them.
- U.S. Naval Academy Day
October 10th -The Naval Academy has existed since 1845 to develop the next generation of naval leaders to serve our nation. Today we celebrate all our Navy officers for their bravery.
- World Homeless Day
October 10th – The purpose of World Homeless Day is to draw attention to people who experience homelessness needs locally and provide opportunities for the community to get involved in responding to homelessness, while taking advantage of the stage an ‘international day’ provides.
- World Hospice and Palliative Care Day
October 10th- World Hospice and Palliative Care Day is an annual unified day of action to celebrate and support hospice and palliative care around the world. Show your appreciation you have for those who take care of your loved ones at the end of life.
- World Mental Health Day
October 10th – World Mental Health Day is an international day for global mental health education, awareness and advocacy against social stigma.
- World Porridge Day
Porridge is a breakfast dish that is simply made by cooking oats with water or milk. You can add sugar, honey or different fruits. So today on October 10th give it a try!
Share these Holiday Memes on Social Media
October 10th Horoscope
- Date range: September 23 – October 22
- Element: Air
- Quality: Cardinal
- Color: Pink, Green
- Ruler: Venus
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 6, 13, 15, 24
- Personality Traits: Cooperative, diplomatic, gracious, stable, common sense, social but upsets easily, holds grudges, plays the victim
- Famous Libras: Neve Campbell, Kate Winslet, Jesse Eisenberg, Sigourney Weaver, Hugh Jackman, Matt Damon, Naomi Watts, Will Smith, Viggo Mortenson, Zac Effron, Gwyneth Paltrow, Clive Owen, Hillary Duff, Tim Robbins, John Krasinski, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alicia Silverstone, Susan Sarandon, Eminem, Elisabeth Shue.
October 10th History
- 1780 – The Great Hurricane of 1780 kills 20,000–30,000 in the Caribbean.
- 1845 – In Annapolis, Maryland, the Naval School (later the United States Naval Academy) opens with 50 students.
- 1846 – Triton, the largest moon of the planet Neptune, is discovered by English astronomer William Lassell.
- 1871 – Chicago burns after a barn accident lasting from October 8–10.
- 1920 – The #1 movie in the US was The Round-Up.
- 1940 – The #1 movie in the US was Strike Up the Band.
- 1941 – The #1 song in the US was Piano Concerto in B Flat by Freddy Martin and His Orchestra.
- 1954 – David Lee Roth, American vocalist and member of the band Van Halen, was born in Bloomington, IN.
- 1957 – The Windscale fire results in Britain’s worst nuclear accident.
- 1958 – Tanya Tucker, American country musical artist was born in Seminole, TX.
- 1967 – The Outer Space Treaty comes into force.
- 1967 – The #1 movie in the US was Bonnie and Clyde.
- 1969 – Brett Favre, Football quarterback was born in Gulfport, MS.
- 1971 – The #1 song in the US was Maggie May by Rod Stewart.
- 1973 – Mario Lopez, American actor was born in San Diego, CA.
- 1974 – Dale Earnhardt Jr. American race car driver was born in Kannapolis, NC.
- 1979 – Mýa, American singer-songwriter was born in Washington, D.C.
- 1981 – The #1 movie in the US was Chariots of Fire.
- 1981 – The #1 song according to playback.fm was Endless Love by Diana Rossand Lionel Richie.
- 1990 – Rakul Preet Singh, Indian film actress was born in New Delhi, India.
- 2006 – The #1 movie was, “The Grudge 2.”
- 2018 – Hurricane Michael makes landfall in the Florida Panhandle as a Category 5, killing 57 people in the United States, and causes an estimated $25.1 billion in damage.