All About October 19th
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
October 19th Holidays
- Dress Like a Dork Day
Today on October 19th we celebrate our inner dorkiness! So get your Dwight on today and dress like a dork!
- Evaluate Your Life Day
Today on October 19th take a while to sit down and think about what is going on in your life. Is it headed in the right direction? Are there things you’d like to change, or things you want to show more appreciation for? Another holiday created by the folks at Wellcat.com.
- LGBT Center Awareness Day
- National Seafood Bisque Day
October 19th encourages us to enjoy a bowl of nice warm creamy Seafood Bisque. Do you have a favorite recipe?
- New Friends Day
Today is all about meeting new people. No matter where you are today, try to be open to chatting with someone new. It may be the start or a new friendship. ♥
- Swallows Depart from San Juan Capistrano Day
On October 23rd each year, the Cliff Swallows depart from San Juan Capistrano which marks the migration of thousands of swallows. They migrate 6,000 miles South to Goya, Corrientes, Argentina. The swallows return on or about March 19th.
- World Pediatric Bone and Joint Day
Every year, on October 19th World Pediatric Bone and Joint Day is observed globally. The day is marked to create awareness about the prevention, disease management, and treatment of musculoskeletal issues in children.
October 19th Horoscope is Libra
- Date range: September 23 – October 22
- Element: Air
- Quality: Cardinal
- Color: Pink, Green
- Ruler: Venus
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 6, 13, 15, 24
- Personality Traits: Cooperative, diplomatic, gracious, stable, common sense, social but upsets easily, holds grudges, plays the victim
- Famous Libras: Neve Campbell, Kate Winslet, Jesse Eisenberg, Sigourney Weaver, Hugh Jackman, Matt Damon, Naomi Watts, Will Smith, Viggo Mortensen, Zac Efron, Gwyneth Paltrow, Clive Owen, Hillary Duff, Tim Robbins, John Krasinski, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alicia Silverstone, Susan Sarandon, Eminem, Elisabeth Shue and Gwen Stefani, Evander Holyfield, John Lithgow.
October 19th Trivia
- 1216 – King John of England dies at Newark-on-Trent and is succeeded by his nine-year-old son Henry.
- 1900 – Max Planck discovers the law of black-body radiation (Planck’s law).
- 1933 – Germany withdraws from the League of Nations.
- 1943 – Streptomycin, the antibiotic that became the first line of offense against tuberculosis is discovered by graduate student Albert Schatz.
- 1945 – John Lithgow, American actor was born in Rochester, NY.
- 1950 – Iran becomes the first country to accept technical assistance from the United States under the Point Four Program.
- 1954 – Cho Oyu, the 6th highest mountain peak in the world, was scaled for the first time in recorded history by Nepalese Pasang Dawa Lama and Austrians Joseph Jöchler and Herbert Tichy.
- 1962 – Evander Holyfield, American professional boxer was born in Atmore, AL
- 1983 – Hunter King, American actress was born in San Maleo, California.
- 2001 – SIEV X, an Indonesian fishing boat en route to Christmas Island, carrying over 400 asylum seekers, sinks in international waters with the loss of 353 people.
- 2003 – Mother Teresa is beatified by Pope John Paul II.
- 2005 – The Iraqi Special Tribunal started the trial of deposed President of Iraq, Saddam Hussein, and 7 other defendants for crimes against humanity. Hussein, who was the fifth President of Iraq was found guilty and was executed by hanging a year later on December 30, 2006.
- 2005 – Hurricane Wilma becomes the most intense Atlantic hurricane on record with a minimum pressure of 882 mb.