All About October 1st
Holidays, Horoscope and Trivia
October 1st Holidays
- CD Player Day
October 1st, 1982 the first ever commercially available compact disk player was released in Japan. They became so popular and you were not cool if you did not walk around with one of these hanging around your neck and plugged into your ears. Do you remember your favorite CDs?
- Homemade Cookie Day
October 1st is all about making some homemade cookies! Do you have a favorite recipe? Tag us!
- International Coffee Day
is an occasion that is used to promote and celebrate coffee as a beverage, with events now occurring in places across the world.
- International Day of Older Persons
The General Assembly adopted the United Nations Principles for Older Persons (resolution 46/91 in 1991). In 2002, the Second World Assembly on Ageing adopted the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing, to respond to the opportunities and challenges of population ageing in the 21st century and to promote the development of a society for all ages.
- International Music Day
The IMD was initiated in 1975 by Lord Yehudi Menuhin to encourage: the promotion of our musical art among all sections of society and keep reading here.
- Less Than Perfect Day
On October 1st you are encouraged to not be so hard on yourself and on others either. It’s ok to not be perfect. Just be you and realize your quirky self is just good enough!
- International Raccoon Appreciation Day
Today, on October 1st we celebrate raccoons. Not only raccoons but really all little animals that some people consider a nuisance. Today is about educating yourself and others on why each of these little creatures is important to the eco system.
- Model T Day
On this day 107 years ago on October 1, 1908, in a Detroit, Michigan plant on Piquette Avenue, the very first production of the Model T Ford was completed.
- National Black Dog Day
For some reasons darker colored dogs are less likely to be adopted at shelters. Today is meant to bring attention to this fact. So if you are looking for a dog right now, head to your shelter and adopt one of these darker colored breeds.
- National BOOK It! Day
In 1984, Pizza Hut president Steven Reinemund was trying to motivate his son to read more books. He made a deal with him: whenever he reached a reading goal, he’d take him out for pizza at Pizza Hut. it worked so he expanded the program to other children. Now, BOOK IT! is the longest-running corporate-sponsored children’s literacy program in the United States.
- National Fire Pup Day
National Fire Pup Day on October 1st, recognizes the canine firefighters that are members of fire departments, notably Dalmatians which were carriage dogs back in the 1700’s. Here’s to all dogs working in service to human beings. May their lives be blessed.
- National Hair Day
NuMe founded National Hair Day on October 1, 2017, celebrating styling tools and hair care products that make our hair beaUtiful. ♥
- National Lace Day
On October 1st we celebrate lace. That lovely embellishment added onto clothes to make them pretty and frilly. Read about the history of lace here: www.sfomuseum.org/exhibitions/lace
- World Vegetarian Day
World Vegetarian Day is observed annually around the planet on October 1. It is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978, “To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism.”
Memes to Share on Social Media
October Holidays and Observations Gift Shop by TimefortheHolidays
October 1st Horoscope is Libra
- Date range: September 23 – October 22
- Element: Air
- Quality: Cardinal
- Color: Pink, Green
- Ruler: Venus
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 6, 13, 15, 24
- Personality Traits: Cooperative, diplomatic, gracious, stable, common sense, social but upsets easily, holds grudges, plays the victim
- Famous Libras: Neve Campbell, Kate Winslet, Jesse Eisenberg, Sigourney Weaver, Hugh Jackman, Matt Damon, Naomi Watts, Will Smith, Viggo Mortenson, Zac Efron, Gwyneth Paltrow, Clive Owen, Hilary Duff, Tim Robbins, John Krasinski, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Alicia Silverstone, Susan Sarandon, Eminem, Elisabeth Shue.
October 1st Trivia
- 959 – Edgar the Peaceful becomes king of all England.
- 965 – Pope John XIII is elected.
- 1553 – Coronation of Queen Mary I of England.
- 1861 – Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management is published, going on to sell 60,000 copies in its first year and remaining in print until the present day
- 1890 – Yosemite National Park is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1896 -Liaquat Ali Khan, Indian/Pakistani lawyer, politician, Prime Minister of Pakistan was born.
- 1908 – Ford Model T automobiles go up for sale at a price of US $825.
- 1910 – A large bomb destroys the Los Angeles Times building, killing 21.
- 1920 – Walter Matthau, American actor was born in NYC, New York.
- 1924 – Jimmy Carter, American politician, 39th President of the United States, Nobel Prize laureate was born in Plains, GA.
- 1931 – The George Washington Bridge linking New Jersey and New York opens.
- 1935 – Julie Andrews, English actress, singer was born in Walton-on-Thames, United Kingdom.
- 1946 – Trial of the Major War Criminals end with sentences being passed against several key members of the Nazi party.
- 1949 – André Rieu, Dutch Violinist was born in Maastricht, Netherlands.
- 1950 – Randy Quaid, American film actor was born in Houston, Texas.
- 1957 – First appearance of In God we trust on U.S. paper currency.
- 1963 – The #1 movie was Dementia 13 written by Francis Ford Coppola.
- 1964 – A student protest called, “The Free Speech Movement” was launched on the campus of the University of California, Berkeley.
- 1966 – The #1 song on the Billboard was Cherish by The Association.
- 1969 – Zach Galifianakis, Actor was born in Wilkesboro, NC.
- 1972 – Louis Leakey, Kenyan/English archaeologist passes away.
- 1981 – Rupert Friend, Actor was born in Stonesfield, United Kingdom.
- 1982 – Epcot opens at Walt Disney World in Florida.
- 1982 – Sony launches the model CDP-101 compact disk player.
- 1982 – The the #1 song on the billboard was
Abracadabra by Steve Miller Band.
- 1987 – The #1 movie was Fatal Attraction starring Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, Anne Archer.
- 1989 – Denmark introduces the world’s first legal same-sex registered partnerships.
- 1989 – Brie Larson, American actress was born in Sacramento, CA.
- 2015 – Heavy rains trigger a major landslide in Guatemala, killing 280 people.
- 2017 – A gunman kills 58 people and injures 851 others at The Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas. The gunman commits suicide when police locate him.
- 2020 – President Trump and First Lady Melania test positive for Coronavirus. [CNN]