All About October 30th
Holidays, Horoscopes and Trivia
October 30th Holidays
- Buy a Doughnut Day
On October 30th we celebrate doughnuts. So head to your local bakery or doughnut shop and get your favorite doughnut today. What is your favorite?
- Checklist Day
Today we celebrate checklists, which can literally save our lives. On October 30, 1935, a Model 299 prototype for the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress crashed during takeoff at Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio. The cause was discovered to be a lock that was still engaged. So a group of pilots who wanted to prevent future ‘pilot error’ mishaps came up with checklists for takeoff, flight, before landing and after landing. After this, Boeing delivered 12 of the aircraft to the Air Corps and they flew 1.8 million miles without a serious mishap. So today, make some checklists and help get your life in order.
- Haunted Refrigerator Night
Another holiday created by Thomas & Ruth Roy of Wellcat.com. This event is for those of you who have creepy, old, terrifying leftovers in your frig. Time to clean out the rot and freshen up your frig!
- Mischief Night
Mischief Night, October 30th is an informal holiday on which people, usually teenagers engage in pranks such as toilet papering or egging someone’s house. So beware!
- National Candy Corn Day
Today on October 30th we celebrate that yummy orange, yellow and white candy who’s colors represent Fall. Candy Corn was created by candymaker, George Renninger, at the Wunderlee Candy Company in Philadelphia, in the 1880s. It was originally called, “Chicken Feed”.
- National Publicist Day
October 30th is National Publicist Day. It is a day of appreciation and recognition of public relations professionals. Learn more at https://nationalpublicistday.com/.
- National Speak Up For Service Day
October 30th urges us to show appreciation for young people who are involved in community service and to encourage others to get involved.
- Pumpkin Bread Day
What better time than on October 30th to celebrate pumpkin bread! Here is a recipe for you to try out to help you celebrate Pumpkin Bread Day! https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-bread/
- Sugar Addiction Awareness Day
Author Jill Escher came up with the idea for this day to urge parents to not give their children so much sugar! Sugar is addicting, harmful and not good for us. So this is just a reminder to us on the eve of Halloween.
October 30th Zodiac Sign
See who you are compatible with, what your colors are, what personality traits you might have and which famous celebrities share your Zodiac sign.
If you were born today then you are a Scorpio.
Date range: October 23 – November 21 (Occasionally Nov 22 falls into Scorpio too.)
Color: Scarlet, Red, Rust
Ruler: Pluto, Mars
Greatest Overall Compatibility: Taurus, Cancer
Lucky Numbers: 8, 11, 18, 22
Personality Traits: Smart, resourceful, very brave, passionate, but can be really stubborn, jealous, sometimes even violent and doesn’t trust many people.
Famous Scorpios: Leonardo DiCaprio, Anne Hathaway, Ryan Gossling, Christopher Columbus, Bill Gates, Pablo Picasso Julia Roberts, Hillary Clinton, Caitlyn Jenner, Whoopi Goldberg, Marie Curie, Condoleeza Rice.
October 30th Trivia
- 1485 – King Henry VII of England is crowned, beginning the Tudor reign.
- 1831 – Nat Turner is arrested for leading the most notorious slave rebellion in United States history.
- 1938 – Orson Welles broadcasts his radio play of H. G. Wells’s The War of the Worlds, causing a mass fear in some of the audience in the United States.
- 1939 – Grace Slick, American singer-songwriter from the bands, Jefferson Starship and Jefferson Airplane was born in Highland Park, IL.
- 1944 – Holocaust: Anne and Margot Frank are deported from Auschwitz to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, where they die from disease the following year, shortly before the end of WWII.
- 1945 – Jackie Robinson of the Kansas City Monarchs signs a contract for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1945 – Henry Winkler, American actor, comedian, director, producer, and author, famous for his role as “The Fonz” on the 1970s American sitcom Happy Days, was born in Manhattan, New York City, NY.
- 1951 – Harry Hamlin, American actor from show, “LA Law” and ex husband of Lisa Rinna was born in Pasadena, CA.
- 1965 – Gavin Rossdale an English singer, songwriter, musician, actor, and the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the rock band Bush was born in Marylebone, United Kingdom.
- 1981 – Ivanka Trump, American businesswoman and daughter of Donald Trump was born in Manhattan, New York City, NY.
- 1985 – Space Shuttle Challenger lifts off for mission STS-61-A, its final successful mission.
- 2016 – Election polls show Hillary Clinton shockingly only has a 2 point lead over Donald Trump.
- 2016 – American astronaut Kate Rubins, Anatoly Ivanishin of Russia, and Takuya Onishi of Japan landed after 115 days on an international space shuttle.
- 2016 – New York’s Metropolitan Opera canceled a show Saturday afternoon after a powdery substance believed to be the ashes left over after a cremation was sprinkled into the orchestra pit.
- 2017 – Trump criticizes Russia ‘witch hunt’ as Mueller’s first indictment looms.
- 2017 – The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority on Sunday canceled a controversial $300 million contract with Whitefish Energy to restore the country’s power grid, which was knocked out by Hurricane Maria.
- 2017 – Kevin Spacey makes apologizes to actor who accused him of sexual misconduct.