All About April 15th
Holidays, Horoscope and History
Welcome to the Time for the Holidays! Thank you for stopping by. Today we will talk about the history behind today’s daily holidays and observances. We will list the traits of horoscope sign Aries. We will also list today’s historical events, famous birthdays, popular music and movies and other fun nostalgic trivia.
April 15th Holidays & Observances
Jackie Robinson Day
Jackie Robinson Day is a traditional event which occurs annually on April 15 in Major League Baseball, commemorating and honoring the day Jackie Robinson made his major league debut.
April 15 is celebrated as McDonald’s Day. Today celebrates the day in 1955 when Ray Kroc started his fast-food chain, making it eventually become one of the most successful franchises in the food industry. Here are some fun facts about McDonalds.
National Glazed Spiral Ham Day
Harry J. Hoenselaar was working at a meat company in Detroit Michigan when he developed his own machine for cutting spiral hams out of a tire jack, a pie tin, a washing machine motor and a knife. In 1957 the widow of Harry’s former employer, called and offered Harry a chance to buy The Honey Baked Ham Company that he had been working at for $500. Harry re-mortgaged his house and opened the doors of his first store in October of 1957.
- National Griper’s Day
Celebrated every year on April 15th, this day was created in 1984 by Jack Gilbert, a freelance writer from Columbus, Ohio. He was trying “to give the disgruntled, disappointed and depressed a new audience.” Gilbert published his name, phone number, and address so that people could call him up to gripe. He said, “If I am right that it’s becoming more and more difficult to have people listen to you, the whole idea of having people call is good.” It was also Gilbert’s hope that small communities would designate the day and have people gather together in their parks. Read more at: CheckiDay.
National Rubber Eraser Day
On April 15, 1770 Joseph Priestly founded a vegetable gum to remove pencil marks. He dubbed the substance “rubber” since it was used to rub out pencil marks.
National That Sucks Day
National “That Sucks” Day was created by Bruce Novotny, who runs www.thatsucks.net. Lots of sucky things have happened on April 15th such as the Titanic sinking, Abraham Lincoln died after being shot, Emma Morano, last known survivor of the 19th century died and oh yeah, it is Tax Day. So today we think about all that sucks about today.
One Boston Day
April 15th, 2015 marked the beginning of a new annual Boston tradition: One Boston Day. Each year, the day serves as an opportunity to celebrate the resiliency, generosity, and strength demonstrated by the people of Boston and those around the world in response to the tragedy of April 15th, 2013 (Boston Marathon Bombing was on April 15, 2013). See how you can participate this year at: www.onebostonday.org.
National Take a Wild Guess Day
Celebrated annually on April 15 of every year. National Take A Wild Guess is a day to honor your hunches, intuitions, divinations, predictions, and sixth senses. Take a gamble on a hunch, play the lotto, guess how many pennies are in a jar, sign up for that sports raffle, go with your gut instinct today.
Titanic Remembrance Day
On April 15th, National Titanic Remembrance Day remembers the more than 1500 lives lost when the Titanic sank into the North Atlantic’s icy waters in 1912. The British luxury passenger liner sank on April 14–15, 1912, during its maiden voyage, en route to New York City from Southampton, England.
- World Art Day
World Art Day is an international celebration of the fine arts which was declared by the International Association of Art in order to promote awareness of creative activity worldwide. . The first World Art Day was held on April 15th, 2012, a date chosen in honor of Leonardo da Vinci’s birthday.
A Quick Video about April 15th
April 15th Zodiac Sign
Zodiac Sign for April 15th is Aries
- If you were born today on April 11th then you are an Aries.
- your personality is defined by your fun loving, optimistic and generous nature.
- You love new experiences
- Time period: March 20 – April 20
- Element: Fire
- Ruling planet: Mars
- Symbol: Ram
- Zodiac quality: Cardinal
- Birthstones: Topaz, Heliotrope, Sapphire, Jasper, Aquamarine, Diamond
If today, April 15th is your Birthday then You Share a Birthday with:
- 1452 – Leonardo da Vinci, Italian painter, sculptor, and architect was born.
- 1874 – George Harrison Shull, American botanist and geneticist was born.
- 1933 – Roy Clark, American singer was born in Meherrin, VA.
- 1959 – Emma Thompson, British actress was born in Paddington, London, United Kingdom.
- 1982 – Seth Rogen, Canadian-American actor, director, producer, and screenwriter was born in Vancouver, Canada.
April 15th Trivia
Historical events, celebrity birthdays, trivia, inventions and other events that happened on April 15th.
- 1865 – Abraham Lincoln is shot while attending the play “Our American Cousin” at Ford’s Theatre in Washington and dies 9 hours later.
- 1892 – The General Electric Company is formed.
- 1912 – The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive.
- 1913 – The #1 movie was, “Cleopatra.”
- 1923 – Insulin becomes generally available for use by people with diabetes.
- 1945: Near the end of World War II, British and Canadian troops liberated the Nazi concentration camp Bergen-Belsen. The soldiers discovered approximately 60,000 prisoners inside, most of them half-starved and seriously ill, and another 13,000 corpses lying around the camp unburied.
- 1950 – The #1 movie was, “Cinderella.”
- 1955 – McDonald’s restaurant dates its founding to the opening of a franchised restaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois.
- 1962 – The #1 song on the Hot Country Songs Billboard was, “She’s Got You,” by Patsy Cline.
- 1974 – The #1 movie was, “The Sugarland Express.”
- 1984 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Footloose,” by Kenny Loggins.
- 1985 – The #1 movie was, “Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment.”
- 2017 – Emma Morano, last known survivor of the 19th century dies at 117.
- 2019 – A sad day in history as the Notre Dame cathedral burns down.
- 2019 – Georgia Engel, Beloved Actress on ‘The Mary Tyler Moore Show,’ Dies at 70.