All About April 29th
Holidays, Horoscope and History
Welcome to Time for the Holidays! Glad you stopped by. Today we will talk about the history behind today’s holidays. We will also talk about the horoscope sign Taurus’s traits. At the bottom of the page is a list of today’s historical events, famous birthdays and other fun random trivia.
- International Dance Day
International Dance Day is a global celebration of dance, created by the Dance Committee of the International Theatre Institute, the main partner for the performing arts of UNESCO. The event takes place every year on April 29th, which is the anniversary of the birth of Jean-Georges Noverre, the creator of modern ballet. IDD says that “This day is a celebration day for those who can see the value and importance of the art form “dance”, and acts as a wake-up-call for governments, politicians and institutions which have not yet recognized its value to the people and to the individual and have not yet realized its potential for economic growth. ” Visit www.international-dance-day.org.
- National Peace Rose Day
National Peace Rose Day is celebrated every April 29th. This day is to honor the “Peace” rose, a pretty light yellow pink edged garden rose. French horticulturist Francis Meilland, developed the Peace Rose in the 1930s during the time of the German invasion of France. he wanted to protect the new rose, so he sent cuttings to his friends in Italy, Turkey, Germany, and the United States.. The rose received different names in each country it was sent. The United States named the rose Peace. As the Second World War was coming to an end, the trade name “Peace” was publicly announced on April 29, 1945. Later in 1945, Peace roses were given to each delegate at the inaugural meeting of the United Nations, in San Francisco, with a note that read: “We hope the Peace rose will influence men’s thoughts for everlasting world peace.”
- National Shrimp Scampi Day
Early Italian immigrants in the United States invented the Shrimp Scampi back then in the late 19th to early 20th century. Today we enjoy this delicious dish all over the world! Here is a recipe for you: Classic Shrimp Scampi.
- Viral Video Day
Viral Video Day has been recognized since 2013. Viral videos are those videos that become spontaneously popular. So why not try to make a video today and see if yours will go viral!
- World Wish Day
Thousands of children with critical illnesses are waiting for their wishes to come true. This World Wish Day, you can give hope to wish kids by donating to Make a Wish America.
- Zipper Day
In 1851 that Elias Howe, also the inventor of the sewing machine, received a patent for an “Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure”. However Howe failed to market this invention and 42 years later, Whitcomb Judson marketed the “Clasp Locker”. The Clasp Locker was a more complicated hook-and-eye shoe fastener. Judson later started the Universal Fastener Company where he manufactured his new device and debuted it at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893. But still it did not quite catch on with the public. Years later Giden Sundback, a Swedish American electrical engineer, was working at the Universal Fastener Company. He ended up designing the modern zipper in 1913. The patent for the “Separable Fastener was issued in 1917. In 1923, the B.F. Goodrich Company finally named the device zipper.
Zodiac Sign for April 29th is Taurus
Taurus is the second astrological sign in the present zodiac. The Sun is in the sign of Taurus.
Time period: April 20 – May 21
Ruling planet: Venus
Zodiac quality: Fixed
Birthstones: The birthstone for Taurus is the Emerald. The Emerald is a green precious gem that means peace and prosperity.
Personality Traits: Strong willed, intelligent, stubborn, hard working, prefer relaxing environments, honest, consistent, ambitious, perfectionist.
If you were born on April 29th then you share a Birthday with:
- 1954 – Jerry Seinfeld, American comedian, actor, and producer was born.
- 1957 – Daniel Day-Lewis, British-Irish actor was born.
- 1970 – Uma Thurman, American actress is born in Boston, MA.
Come learn about today’s history with me!
All About April 29th
with Mimi in the Morning
April 29th Trivia
- 1770 – James Cook, British explorer, arrives in Australia at Botany Bay, which he names.
- 1834 – Charles Darwin, English Geologist, during the second survey voyage of HMS Beagle, ascended the Bell mountain.
- 1903 – A 30 million cubic-metre landslide kills 70 people in Frank, in the District of Alberta Canada as 82 million tons of limestone slid down the mountain.
- 1944 – During World War II a British agent Nancy Wake, a leading figure in the French Resistance and the Gestapo’s most wanted person, parachutes back into France to be a liaison between London and the local maquis group.
- 1945 – World War II: The German army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.
- 1945 –Adolf Hitler marries Eva Braun in a Berlin bunker and designates Admiral Karl Dönitz as his successor; Hitler and Braun both commit suicide the following day.
- 1945 – Dachau concentration camp is liberated by US troops.
- 1953 – The first U.S. experimental 3D television broadcast showed an episode of Space Patrol on Los Angeles ABC affiliate KECA-TV.
- 1967 – After refusing induction into the US Army the previous day, Muhammad Ali is stripped of his boxing title.
- 1968 – The musical Hair, a product of the hippie counter-culture and sexual revolution of the 1960s, opens at the Biltmore Theatre on Broadway.
- 1980 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Call Me,” by Blondie.
- 1981 – The #1 movie was, “Friday the 13th Part 2.”
- 1992 – Riots in Los Angeles break out destroying hundreds of buildings and killing 63 people, following the acquittal of police officers charged with excessive force in the beating of Rodney King.
- 2011 – Prince William and Catherine Middleton get married at Westminster Abbey in London.
- 2015 – The Baltimore Orioles defeated the Chicago White Sox 8–2 during the first ever baseball game with no fans present due to the 2015 Baltimore protests against the Baltimore Police Department officers after they arrested Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old African American resident of Baltimore, Maryland injuring his neck and spine while he was in a police vehicle. He went into a coma and later died.
- 2020 – U.S. COVID-19 death toll surpasses that of Vietnam War all the while Pence declines to wear mask despite Mayo Clinic. [The Week]