Happy February 6th!
Good morning! Thank you for stopping by Time for the Holidays today! This page is full of random facts, trivia, horoscope info, celebrity birthdays, daily holidays and much more for February 6th! Hope you find this day interesting!
Holidays for February 6th
Everyday of the year has some strange holidays. Today, February 6th, we are recognizing Ronald Reagan, Lame Duck Day, Frozen Yogurt, compliments and the serious issues of female genital mutilation.
- Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
Female genital mutilation (FGM) comprises all procedures that involve altering or injuring the female genitalia for non-medical reasons and is recognized internationally as a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
- Lame Duck Day
This day recognizes the ratification of the 20th Amendment to the United States Constitution or the Lame Duck Amendment. The term “lame duck” originated as a description of stock brokers in 1700s England who could not pay off their debts.
- National Frozen Yogurt Day
National Frozen Yogurt Day is observed annually on February 6th. Eat some!
- Pay-a-Compliment Day
There are some discrepancies on this day, some say it’s in January and some say today. Either way, just pay a compliment to someone today, just because it’s a nice thing to do.
- Ronald Reagan Day
This is observed ever February 6. This day originally started in 2011, in the state of California for Ronald Reagan because he was California’s governor from 1967 to 1975. He went onto be the President of the United States from 1981 to 1989. This day is now also recognized in Wisconsin.
February 6th Zodiac Sign is Aquarius
- Date range: January 20 – February 18
- Element: Air,
- Quality: Fixed
- Color: Light-Blue, Silver
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 7, 11, 22, 29
- Personality Traits: Humanitarian, original, likes to be right, argumentative
- Famous Aquariuses; Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts, Denise Richards,
Princess Charlene of Monaco, Shakira, Mischa Barton, Natalie Imbruglia, Ellen DeGeneres, Alicia Keys, Abraham Lincoln, Galileo Galilei, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Charles Darwin, Michael Jordan, James Dean.
February 6th Trivia
- 1788 – Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 1820 – The first 86 African American immigrants sponsored by the American Colonization Society depart New York to start a settlement in present-day Liberia.
- 1895 – Babe Ruth, American professional baseball player was born in Baltimore, MD.
- 1911 – Ronald Reagan, 40th U.S. President was born in Tampico, IL.
- 1917 – Zsa Zsa Gábor, Hungarian-American actress was born in Budapest, Hungary.
- 1918 – British women over the age of 30 who meet minimum property qualifications, get the right to vote when Representation of the People Act 1918 is passed by Parliament.
- 1940 – Tom Brokaw, American journalist was born in Webster, SD.
- 1945 – Bob Marley, Jamaican singer-songwriter was born in Nine Mile, Jamaica.
- 1950 – Natalie Cole, American singer was born in Los Angeles, CA.
- 1962 – The #1 song was, “The Lion Sleeps Tonight,” by The Tokens.
- 1962 – Axl Rose, Lead singer of band, Guns N’ Roses, was born in Lafayette, IN.
- 1964 – The #1 movie was, “My Fair Lady,” starring Audrey Hepburn.
- 1965 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboards was, “I Feel Fine,” by The Beatles.
- 1978 -The Blizzard of 78 happened. Boston received a record-breaking 27.1 inches of snow; Providence got 27.6 inches, Atlantic City broke an all-time storm accumulation, with 20.1 inches. 100 people were killed. It caused more than $520 millionin damages. Learn more about the “Blizzard of 78” on Wiki.
- 1978 – The #1 movie was, “Saturday Night Fever,” starring John Travolta.
- 1984 – The #1 movie was, “Terms of Endearment,” starring Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger.
- 1986 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Say You, Say Me,” Lionel Richie.
- 1987 – Justice Mary Gaudron becomes the first woman to be appointed to the High Court of Australia.
- 1990 – The #1 movie was, Born on the Fourth of July,” starring Tom Cruise.
- 1998 – Washington National Airport is renamed Ronald Reagan National Airport.
- 2002 – THe #1 movie was, “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.’
- 2016 – An earthquake of magnitude 6.6 strikes southern Taiwan, killing 117 people.
- 2016 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Hello,” by Adele.
See Other Fun February Holidays Here
Click a Date to See More Holidays!