Happy Fresh Breath Day!
Fresh Breath Day is celebrated every August 6th, but really shouldn’t it be celebrated every day? Today is about appreciating oral hygiene and honoring dentists and oral care professionals.
So today, brush extra, and let your dentists and other oral care health provides let them know you appreciate them! Send them a card or flowers, deliver a lunch to them, or just call to say thank you! The best way to thank them is to make an appointment today for your annual cleaning and check up!
What Causes Bad Breath?
There are many things that can cause bad breath. Here are a couple to name a few.
- Foods such as garlic and onions.
- Dry Mouth
- Bad Dental Hygiene can make plaque build up on your teeth and bacteria build up on your tongue.
- Tonsil stones – Check the back of your throat for white bumps in your tonsils.
- Diets – Certain diets like the Keto diet can cause a metallic or fruity breath. Learn why here.
- Health conditions – Diabetes, Acid Reflux, IBS and many other health conditions can lead to bad breath.
- Medicines – Differing meds and supplements can cause bad breath.
DON’T BE A BAD BREATH BANDIT!
How to Help Yourself have Fresh Breath
- Brush your teeth every morning and night, when you wake up and when you got to bed.
- Brush your tongue. Bacteria builds up on the back of your tongue, so scrape or brush it off.
- Floss your teeth daily.
- Use Mouth Wash.
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
- Avoid stinky foods like garlic and onions.
- Make sure to see your dentist annually for cleaning and check up.
Researchers in one 2005 study found that using a tongue scraper twice a day for seven days reduced the overall incidence of Mutans streptococci and Lactobacilli bacteria in the mouth. These bacteria types are known to cause bad breath and dental decay. You can purchase a tongue scraper here.
Sometimes no matter what you do, your breath just smells bad. There are conditions that go beyond just oral hygiene. If you are experiencing this issues please check out these forums for some extra help and support.
- My Breath Smells like Poo Forum Conversation
- Bad Breath/Halitosis Forum
- What are Tonsil Stones and how to get rid of them