National Green Bean Casserole Day
On December 3rd we show our appreciation for green bean casserole! Most of us have already enjoyed a dish or two since Thanksgiving was not too long ago.
What goes into Green Bean Casserole?
Modern green bean casserole is a mixture of French Style green beans and mushroom soup mixed together, then topped with French Onions. The original recipe calls for canned or fresh green beans, Cream of Mushroom soup, soy sauce, black pepper, milk, and French-fried onions..
This recipe was created by Dorcas “Dottie” Reilly, in 1955, a worker for the Campbell’s Soup Company. She created this recipe for a feature article for the Associated Press; the requirement was for a quick and easy dish using ingredients most US households kept on hand. In 1960 Campbell’s began putting this recipe on their cream of mushroom soup cans. It has been a staple in most households, especially on Thanksgiving ever since. National Green Bean Casserole Day was created by Jace Shoemaker-Galloway, freelance writer and known as the “Queen of Holidays”.
Green Bean Casserole Trivia
- Green Bean Casserole was originally called “Green Bean Bake”.
- Campbell’s Soup estimates that 40 % of the Cream of Mushroom soup sold in the United States goes into making green bean casserole.
- Campbell’s also estimates that green bean casserole is served in 20 million Thanksgiving dinners in the US each year.
- In November of 2002, Reilly, representing Campbell’s, donated the original recipe card to the National Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron, Ohio.
- Green Giant set the Guinness World Record title for the largest serving of green bean casserole weighing in at a 1,009 pounds. The casserole was made of 1,069 cans of Green Giant Cut Green Beans, 485 cans of mushroom soup, 65 quarts of milk and 95 pounds of French-fried onions. The record-setting casserole fed an estimated 3,000 people at senior centers across New York City.
Green Bean Casserole Recipes
If you are a fan of Green Bean Casserole then give one of these recipes a try!
- Green Bean Casserole by Campbells
- Green Bean Casserole by McCormick
- Green Bean Casserole by Betty Crocker
- Best Green Bean Casserole by AllRecipes
- Classic Green Bean Casserole by Spend with Pennies
- Classic Green Bean Casserole by Delish
- World’s Best Green Bean Casserole by the Recipe Critic