Pie in the Face Day
So they say there is a holiday for everything and maybe today proves that to be true! Today, November 27th is Pie in the Face Day.
It was first seen at the end of the 1909 silent film Mr Flip. Mr. Flip is a 1909 American silent comedy film made by Essanay Studios, directed by Gilbert M. ‘Broncho Billy’ Anderson and starring actor Ben Turpin. The film is about a man going to various locations in town where he flirts with the women, and each one of them get revenge on him in some funny manner. One of those acts of revenge was a pie in the face.
Since then it has been used in gags and also in political events. Sometimes it is even used for a cause.
Here are some famous “Pie in the Face” publicity stunts:
- 1898 – The first recorded pie in the face incident ever recorded was on October 15, 1898, when a defendant threw a pumpkin pie at the plaintiff, and hit him in the face with the pie.
- 1916 – The first all on pie fight in the movies appeared in the movie Behind the Screen starring Charlie Chaplin.
- 1923 – The television show Little Rascals had a funny pie fight in one of it’s first episodes.
- 1927 – One of the most notorious pie fights was in the film The Battle of the Century starring Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy using 3,000 pies!
- 1951 – Soupy Sales was known for his pie in the face moments. In his career it is estimated that he got hit by pies in the face more than 20,000 times! But the first time was on his late night comedy show on WXEL, “Soup’s On”.
- 1965 – The largest cinema pie fight was in the movie The Great Race starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood, using an estimated 4,000 pies, and a giant cake.
- 1855 – The popular TV series, “I Love Lucy” was known for some funny pie in the face scenes.
- 1970 – Tom Forcade, the founder of the pro-Pot High Times magazine, pied Otto N. Larsen, head of the U.S. Commission on Obscenity and Pornography.
- 1970s – 1980s – Activist Aron Kay became a political pie-throwing icon after pieing people such as Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, New York City Mayor Abraham Beame, Phyllis Schlafly, the conservative leader of the anti-ERA movement,. former CIA chief William Colby, and California Gov. Jerry Brown. California Governor Jerry Brown, Andy Warhol, William Buckley, Steve Rubell, William Colby, McGeorge Bundy, G. Gordon Liddy, Howard Hunt, Randall Terry, Edward Teller and Anthony Ulasewicz. He says he was inspired by Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges.
- 1977 – Anita Bryant – American singer and anti-gay-rights activist got a pie in the face becoming one of the first persons to be publicly “pied” as a political act. during a television appearance in Iowa on October 14, 1977, Bryant was struck by a pie thrown at her by Thom L. Higgins. Good for you Higgins, her acts were awful.
- 1998 – Bill Gates One February day In Brussels Gates went to meet with business leaders, and was unexpectedly hit in the face with a cream pie as he was about to enter a building. Gates declined to press charges against the pranksters who said afterward they were motivated simply by mischief and not anything against Gates.
- 1998 – Sylvester Stallone got pied during the grand opening of a Planet Hollywood restaurant in Montreal. The said thrower was Les Entartistes, a Canadian satirical political group whose members throw cream pies at political and cultural figures whom the group thinks needs to be humbled with some public embarrassment.
- 2001 – Designer Calvin Klein got a tofu cream pie to the face by anti-furprotesters at a fashion awards event.
- 2001 -King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden was hit in the face with a strawberry tart thrown by a 16-year-old Swedish boy
- 2006 – On “The Late Show with David Letterman, when EmmaThompson was promoting her film “Nanny McPhee,” in which her character throws a pie at another character Letterman challenged her to hit him, in which she did.
- 2013 – Many people took a pie in the face in the ALS Youth Challenge created with Becky Wetzel and her two daughters to encourage kids to challenge themselves to raise awareness and support for the fight against ALS.
And of course we could not get through this day without celebrating Pie in the Face Day ourselves. So my grandkids and neighbor kids came to help me celebrate!