I Love Reese’s Day
On May 18th in 2010, Hershey sponsored an online petition to declare May 18th as I Love Reese’s Day. It was signed by 40,000 fans. They picked May as the time for the Reese’s celebration because the holiday would then be in between National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day in March, and Chocolate Day in July. For the first celebration, Reese’s gave away 10,000 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
H.B. Reese was the inventor of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, originally known as penny cups as that’s what they sold for. In 1917, he began working on a Hershey dairy farm, and in the early 1920s, he started working at a Hershey candy factory.
He started making candy in his basement, to help support his sixteen kids. He used various fresh ingredients and coated them in Hershey’s chocolate. Then he decided to quit Hershey’s and formed the H.B. Reese Candy Company in 1923 and invented the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup in 1928.
They became the very popular and he started selling them in five-pound boxes to retailers for their candy displays. During World War II, when sugar was being rationed, Reese stopped making everything but peanut butter cups, which used less sugar than the rest of his candies.
He passed away in 1956 at the age of 76. He left his company to his six sons, and in 1963 they sold it to Hershey’s Chocolate Company for $23.5 million in shares—which are now worth over $1 billion.
Currently, Reese’s generates more than $2 billion in annual sales for The Hershey Company, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are number one on the list of top-selling candy brands.
Some Fun Facts about Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Elvis had his own Reese’s flavor which was peanut butter and banana cream and called, “Elvis Cups.”
- “H.B. Reese originally sold the cups for a penny, and called them ‘Penny Cups.'”
- Dairy Farmer, Harry Burnett Reese was the man who created the Peanut Butter Cup in his basement.
- The largest Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup weighs 8oz and is sold in packs of two on the official Reese’s site.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups are one of the most popular candies sold in the U.S during the Halloween season.