Happy January 15th Y’all!
If it’s your birthday, then Happy Birthday! If you are just stopping by to learn some history of the day, then we hope you find this page interesting! We will list the day’s holidays and observations and the history behind them. Then we will talk a bit about the day’s horoscope sign which is Capricorn. Then we will list the day’s historical events, trivia, nostalgic tidbits and other fun stuff! Hope you learn something new!
January 15th Holidays
- Humanitarian Day
World Humanitarian Day is an international day dedicated to recognize humanitarian personnel and those who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes. Learn more at https://www.un.org/en/observances/humanitarian-day.
- National Hat Day
According to National Day, since 1983, schools, libraries, and museums have observed National Hat Day has been observed in libraries, schools, and museums. They all encouraged students and guests to pull out their best hats and don them for the day!
- National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day
Squeezed juice is such a healthy and refreshing way to start your day! On January 15th you are encouraged to start a new tradition of starting your day with a glass of fresh squeezed juice!
- National Strawberry Ice Cream Day
Today on January 15th you are encouraged to enjoy some strawberry ice cream! Probably won’t take too much urging! If you are interested in some fun ice cream trivia visit: https://timefortheholidays.net/july-is-national-ice-cream-month/
- Wikipedia Day
On January 15, 2001, Wikipedia was established and first edited. So today we celebrate Wiki’s birthday! Woohoo! We definitely appreciate Wikipedia on this website!
Memes you can Share on Social Media
National Strawberry Ice Cream Day
Holiday Info Sources: National Day
January 15th Horoscope Sign is Capricorn
Famous January 15th Birthdays are
- 1929 – Martin Luther King Jr., American minister and activist was born in Atlanta, GA.
- 1951 – Charo, actress, singer and comedienne, was born in Murcia, Spain.
- 1968 – Chad Lowe, actor known for his roles in ER, Melrose Place and Pretty Little Liars, was born in Dayton, OH.
- 1971 – Regina King, actress was born in Los Angeles, CA.
- 1981 – Pitbull, American rapper was born in Miami, FL.
- 1994 – Hyungwon, n K-pop Star was born in Gwangju, South Korea.
- 1996 – Dove Cameron, actress known from her role in Descendants, was born in Bainbridge Island, WA.
- 2008 – Christopher Convery, actor who has appeared in Black List, Stranger Things and Brahms: The Boy II was born in Las Vegas, Nevada.
January 15th Trivia
- 1559 – Elizabeth I is crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey, London, England.
- 1889 – The Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, is incorporated in Atlanta.
- 1910 – The Buffalo Bill Dam is finished being built in Wyoming, United States, making it the highest dam (325 feet) in the world, at the time.
- 1919 – A wave of molasses released from an exploding storage tank sweeps through Boston, Massachusetts, killing 21 and injuring 150 becoming known as Great Molasses Flood.
- 1919 – The #1 movie in the US was Shoulder Arms starring Charlie Chaplin.
- 1920 – The #1 song in the US was Swanee by Al Jolson.
- 1934 – An 8.0 Mw Nepal–Bihar earthquake strikes Nepal and Bihar with a maximum Mercalli killing an estimated up to 10,700 people.
- 1936 – The first building to be completely covered in glass, built for the Owens-Illinois Glass Company, is completed in Toledo, Ohio.
- 1947 – The dismembered corpse of Elizabeth Short was found in Los Angeles, becoming known as The Black Dahlia Murder.
- 1957 – The #1 movie was Zarak.
- 1962 – The Derveni papyrus, Europe’s oldest surviving manuscript dating to 340 BC, is found in northern Greece.
- 1967 – The first Super Bowl is played in Los Angeles. The Green Bay Packers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 35–10.
- 1967 – The #1 song in the US was I’m a Believer by The Monkees.
- 1973 – The #1 movie in the US was The Poseidon Adventure.
- 1975 – The #1 song was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by Elton John.
- 1976 – Sara Jane Moore, is sentenced to life in prison for the attempted assassination on President Gerald Ford.
- 1983 – The #1 movie in the US is Tootsie.
- 1985 – The #1 song in the US was Like a Virgin by Madonna.
- 2001 – Wikipedia, a free wiki content encyclopedia, debuts online.
- 2005 – ESA’s SMART-1 lunar orbiter discovers elements such as calcium, aluminum, silicon, iron, and other surface elements on the Moon.
- 2010 – The #1 movie in the US was Avatar.
- 2013 – The #1 song in the US was Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars.
- 2020 – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the name of 7 House Democrats who will act as impeachment trial “managers,” and make the case against President Donald Trump in the Senate. [NBC News]
Back to January Holidays
Valentine’s Day Jewelry