Happy January 23rd!
If it’s your birthday, then Happy Birthday! If you are just stopping by to learn the holidays, history and horoscope of the day, then read on!
January 23rd Holidays
Thanks for stopping by Time for the Holidays! Scroll on down the page and see what holidays fall on today, January 23rd! You might be surprised and find something you would like to celebrate today!
- Measure Your Feet Day
On January 23rd we are urged to consider the health of our feet. As we get older things change, including our feet. So get out that tape measure and make sure you are wearing the right size shoes! Yep, there really is a holiday for everything!
- National Handwriting Day
National Handwriting Day was established by the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association in 1977. January 23rd was chosen as this is the birthday of John Hancock. John Hancock, the first person to sign the Declaration of Independence.
- National Pie Day
January 22nd is National Pie Day. This day is sponsored by the American Pie Council. For some interesting pie statistics visit https://nationaltoday.com/national-pie-day/.
- Snowplow Mailbox Hockey Day
Another holiday created by Tom and Ruth Roy from Wellcat.com, Snowplow Mailbox Hockey Day is a day, in theory, where our local plow drivers try to see how many mailboxes they can knock down while they plow our streets.
- National Rhubarb Pie Day
Today, January 22nd is National Rhubarb Pie Day. So here is a recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction to help you get started on the celebration! https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/strawberry-rhubarb-pie/.
January 23rd Zodiac Sign is Aquarius
- Date range: January 20 – February 18
- Element: Air,
- Quality: Fixed
- Color: Light-Blue, Silver
- Lucky Numbers: 4, 7, 11, 22, 29
- Personality Traits: Humanitarian, original, likes to be right, argumentative
- Famous Aquariuses; Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts, Denise Richards,
Princess Charlene of Monaco, Shakira, Mischa Barton, Natalie Imbruglia, Ellen DeGeneres, Alicia Keys, Abraham Lincoln, Galileo Galilei, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Charles Darwin, Michael Jordan, James Dean.
January 23rd Trivia
A collection of famous birthdays, deaths, historical events, popular movies and songs.
- 1556 – The most deadly earthquake in history happens in Shaanxi, China. The death toll may have been as high as 830,000.
- 1846 – Slavery in Tunisia is abolished.
- 1909 – RMS Republic, a passenger ship of the White Star Line, becomes the first ship to use the CQD distress signal after colliding with another ship, the SS Florida, off the Massachusetts coastline, an event that kills six people. The Republic sinks the next day.
- 1918 – Gertrude B. Elion, American biochemist and pharmacologist, Nobel Prize laureate was born in New York City, New York.
- 1944 – The #1 movie was, “Destination Tokyo.”
- 1953 – The #1 movie was, “The Bad and the Beautiful.”
- 1957 – American inventor Walter Frederick Morrison sells the rights to his flying disc to the Wham-O toy company, which later renames it the “Frisbee”.
- 1960 – The bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to (35,797 ft in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1961 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboards was, “Wonderland By Night Bert Kaempfert And His Orchestra.”
- 1966 – The #1 movie was, “The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.”
- 1970 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboards was, “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head,” by B.J. Thomas.
- 1973 – US President Richard Nixon announces that a peace accord has been reached in Vietnam.
- 1979 – The #1 movie was, “Superman.”
- 1986 – The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts its first members: Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.
- 1987 – The #1 movie was, “Critical Condition.”
- 1990 – The #1 movie was, “Driving Miss Daisy,” starring Jessica Tandy.
- 1997 – Madeleine Albright becomes the first woman to serve as United States Secretary of State.
- 1988 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “The Way You Make Me Feel,” by Michael Jackson.
- 1988 – The #1 song on the Adult Top 40 Billboard was, “Walkin’ On The Sun,” by Smash Mouth.
- 1998 – XXXTentacion, American rapper was born in Plantation, Florida,.
- 2002 – Sadly, U.S. journalist Daniel Pearl is kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan and subsequently murdered.
- 2003 – The last signal from Pioneer 10 is detected for the last time, from the first man made object to reach Jupiter.
- 2003 -The #1 movie was, “Darkness Falls.”
- 2017 – The #1 song on the Top Adult 40 Billboard was, “Don’t Wanna Know,” by Maroon 5 Featuring Kendrick Lamar.
- 2017 – The #1 movie was, “Split.”
- 2018 – Wyatt Tee Walker, American civil rights activist and pastor passes away at his home in Chester, Virginia at 89 years old.
- 2020 – Larry King, legendary CNN talk show host, dies at 87 due to Covid. [CNN]