All About May 13th
Holidays, Horoscope and History
We made this page to list everything that happens today, on May 13th! We collected information on holidays, horoscope and historical events such as celebrity birthdays, inventions, and other fun trivia.
May 13th Holidays, Observances and Awareness Days
Everyday is full of holidays, some funny, some quirky, some serious and some that you should totally celebrate! Look through today’s list and see if anything applies to you and find a way to celebrate or honor it!
- Blame Someone Else Day
National Blame Someone Else Day began one Friday the 13th in 1982 when Anne Moelle’s alarm clock failed to go off resulting in a full day of bad luck.
- Cough Drop Day
The history of cough drops: Cough drops were created in the 19th century. They began being made in 1852. A street vendor named Sly Hawkins stopped into a restaurant owned by James Smith in Poughkeepsie, New York and gave him his recipe for “cough candy.” Smith began making the cough candy and selling them in glass bowls. After James Smith’s passing in 1866, his sons William and Andrew took over the business. In 1872, they changed the name of the cough candy to Smith Brothers Cough Drops, they put them in special packaging instead of bowls and began a more aggressive marketing campaign. The company added menthol to their cough drops in 1922. Eventually the company was sold in 1963 and the cough drops stopped being made in 1972.William Luden pioneered the creation of menthol cough drops in 1881 after being inspired by the small bottles of menthol carried around by cold-sufferers in an effort to relieve their symptoms. He was a talented marketer, most notably by providing samples of his cough drops to railroad workers, who then served as unofficial traveling advertisements across the nation.Then in 1930, Swiss baker and confectioner Emil Richterich founded the company that would become known as Ricola.
- Frog Jumping Day
Mark Twain’s story about a pet frog named Dan’l Webster and a casual competition between two men betting on whose frog jumps higher, is the origin of National Frog Jumping Day. The annual Frog Jumping Contest, which began in 1849 in Calaveras County, California is also the origin of this holiday.
- National Apple Pie Day
Every May 13th we celebrate National Apple Pie Day. Here is a recipe for you: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-pie/
- National Fruit Cocktail Day
May 13th is National Fruit Cocktail Day. Have you tried making your own? If not, here is recipe for you: Fruit Cocktail Salad.
- International Hummus Day
May 13th is International Hummus Day. Visit the Hummus Day official website to learn many recip9es for hummus around the world.
- National Leprechaun Day
May 13th is National Leprechaun Day! Read this fun article about Leprechauns to celebrate! Leprechauns: Fact or Fiction.
- Top Gun Day
For anyone who is obsessed with the movie, Top Gun, then May 13th has the perfect holiday for you! Check out the official Top Gun Day Website and learn all the ways you can celebrate Top Gun Day!
- Tulip Day
National Tulip Day is an annual event in January that preludes the tulip season in the Netherlands. The event has been held on the Dam Square in the centre of Amsterdam since 2012. During this day a special garden of 200,000 tulips covers the square. Visit https://www.holland.com/global/tourism/activities/events/national-tulip-day-1.htm
- World Cocktail Day
World Cocktail Day is a global celebration of cocktails; it marks the publication date of the first definition of a cocktail on May 13 in 1806. The New York tabloid The Balance and Columbian Repository defined a cocktail as “a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water and bitters”.
May 13th Zodiac Sign is Taurus
Taurus is the second astrological sign in the present zodiac. The Sun is in the sign of Taurus.
Time period: April 20 – May 21
Ruling planet: Venus
Zodiac quality: Fixed
Birthstones: Emerald, Diamond, Sapphire, Garnet, Rose quartz
Famous Tauruses: Dwayne Johnson, Queen Elizabeth II, Megan Fox, George Clooney, Adele, Mark Zuckerberg, Shakespeare, David Beckham, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
May 13th Trivia
- 1607 – First permanent English settlement in North America, Jamestown, Va., is founded, by Captain John Smith.
- 1917 – Three shepherd children claim to have seen the Virgin Mary in Fátima, Portugal.
- 1922 – Beatrice Arthur, American Tony-Emmy-winning actress, and served as a U.S. Marine during WWII. TV: Maude (Maude Findlay) and The Golden Girls (Dorothy). is born.
- 1941 – Ritchie Valens, American singer, a is born.
- 1960 – Stevie Wonder, American singer was born in Saginaw, MI.
- 1964 – Stephen Colbert is an American comedian, television host, was born in Washington DC.
- 1981 – Turkish terrorist Mehmet Ali Ağca shoots Pope John Paul II in St. Peter’s Square at Vatican City. The Pope was struck four times but survived,
- 1883 – George Papanikolaou, Greek-born American physician. Inventor of the Pap Smear test for cervical cancer is born.
- 1985 – Police Burn Down a Philadelphia Neighborhood Eleven people are killed and more than 60 homes are destroyed as a result of the police bombing the heavily-armed home of the radical group “MOVE.” The police were attempting to end a two-day siege.
- 1985 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Crazy For You,” by Madonna.
- 1986 – The #1 movie was, “Top Gun,” starring Tom Cruise.
- 1986 – Robert Pattinson, English actor, from the movie, “Twilight” is born.
- 1987 – Candice Rene King is an American actress, known for her role of Caroline Forbes on The CW television drama series The Vampire Diaries, was born.
- 1992 – While on a walk across America to prove that people are basically good, Fred Turner is robbed and pushed off a bridge but survived.
- 1992 – Joey Buttafuoco’s 17-year-old girlfriend, Amy Fisher (aka The Long Island Lolita), shoots his wife at their home but she survives.
- 2013 – Dr. Joyce Brothers, American psychologist, newspaper columnist, radio and TV host. passes away,
- 2019 – Doris Day, Actor, singer and animal welfare activist Doris Day passes away at the age of 97.
- 2021 – New York Yankees say 8 vaccinated members tested positive for Covid-19. 7 of these men were asymptomatic, and the other had mild symptoms. [CNN]