May 24th Holidays, Observances and Trivia
May 24th is full of a lot of quirky, silly and fun holidays. So read through the list and see if anything below makes you want to celebrate today! Then scroll down and see what has happened throughout history on May 24th.
- Asparagus Day
Asparagus is brought to North America by European settlers as early as 1655. Nowadays, United States is mainly in three states: California, Michigan, and Washington. Asparagus can take three years to go from seed to harvest. Asparagus is full of nutrients like fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, and E.
- Aviation Maintenance Technician Day
On May 24th, Aviation Maintenance Technician Day honors the men and women who have worked behind the scenes making and keeping aviation safe and possible.
- Brother’s Day
On May 24th we celebrate that special bond between brothers. It’s a good day to give your brother a call and reminisce or maybe take a day off of work and go fishing and make some new memories.
- International Tiara Day
International Tiara Day is celebrated on May 24th each year, on the birthday of Queen Victoria. All little girls like to feel special so today is a fun holiday to put on that tiara and feel royal!
- National Escargot Day
National Escargot Day is celebrated on May 24th each year. The snails are usually booked by removing them from their shells then cooking them with garlic, butter, and wine. Once cooked, they go back into their shells with the sauce for serving. Anybody else feel a little sad reading this?
- Scavenger Hunt Day
On May 24th we celebrate scavenger hunts! So, today is a good day to start planning one, maybe for a birthday party or maybe just learn about actress Elsa Maxwell’s popular scavenger hunts she would put together for actors and politicians. Either way, learn about them, organize one, and partake in it!
Fun Memes to Share!
May 24th Zodiac
Gemini is the third astrological sign in the zodiac, originating from the constellation of Gemini.
Time period: May 21 – June 21
Ruling planet: Mercury
Zodiac quality: Mutable
Color: Light-Green, Yellow
Lucky Numbers: 5, 7, 14, 23
Strengths: Gentle, affectionate, curious, adaptable, ability to learn quickly and exchange ideas.
Geminis like books and talking a lot and going on trips.
Weaknesses: Geminis have a nervous energy, they can be inconsistent and have a hard time making up their mind. They don’t like routines, they get bored easy and they love being spontaneous.
May 24th Trivia
- 1819- Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom was born.
- 1830 – “Mary Had a Little Lamb” by Sarah Josepha Hale is published.
- 1883 – The Brooklyn Bridge in New York City is opened to traffic after 14 years of construction.
- 1961 – American civil rights movement: Freedom Riders are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi, for “disturbing the peace” after disembarking from their bus.
- 1941- Bob Dylan American singer-songwriter, and guitarist was born.
- 1945- Priscilla Presley Elvis’s wife, American actress and businesswoman was born.
- 1964 – The #1 song on the Hot Country Songs Billboard was, “My Heart Skips A Beat.” by Buck Owens.
- 1970- Engineers begin drilling the world’s deepest hole called The Kola Superdeep.
- 1974- Duke Ellington. American pianist, composer, bandleader passed away.
- 1958 – The #1 movie was, “Gigi,” starring Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, Louis Jourdan, Hermione Gingold, Eva Gabor.
- 1980 – The #1 movie was,” The Empire Strikes Back.”
- 1986 – The #1 song on the Hot 100 Billboard was, “Greatest Love Of All,” by Whitney Houston.
- 2001- 23 die in the Jerusalem wedding hall disaster where guests fell through a third story floor.
- 2002 – Russia and the United States sign the Moscow Treaty.
- 2009 – The #1 movie was, “Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian,” starring Ben Stiller.
- 2018 – The #1 song on the Top 40 Billboard was, “The Middle,” by Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey.
- 2019 – Robert Mueller testifies about Trump and the Russian interference before the House Judiciary Committee in the morning and the House Intelligence Committee in the afternoon.
- 2020 – Andrew Cuomo continues to be aired daily giving his New York briefings about Coronavirus.