The Meaning of Hannah
Hannah is such a pretty name. It is a very popular name for girls. It is derived from the root ḥ-n-n, meaning “favour” or “grace”. It is interpreted as meaning “God’s Gift” or “gift to this world”.
Origins of Hannah
Hannah is a Hebrew name which can also be spelt Hanna, Hana or Chana.
Biblically, un the Books of Samuel of the Hebrew Bible, Hannah is the mother of the prophet Samuel. Hannah was barren, so at temple she prayed that if God gave her a son, she would give him up to become a priest. After making this promise to God, she returned to her husband and conceived a son whom she named Samuel. When the child was weaned at 3 years old, Hannah gave him to Eli to be raised as a priest. She went on to have 5 more children.
According to Social Security Administration data, the name Hannah has been in the top 35 since 2000.
- Hannah – Australian pop singer
- Hannah Abbott – character in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
- Hannah Arendt -German philosopher
- Hannah Dakota Fanning – American actress, known as Dakota Fanning
- Hannah Ferguson – American model
- Hannah Montana – character played by Miley Cyrus
- Hannah Taylor-Gordon – English actress
- Hannah Weiner – American poet
Here is a video of the drawing of the name Hannah.
Our Gift Shops
Our Hannah Cards & Gifts Collection.
Buy the EPI, SVG, JPG & PSD files to make your own products on Etsy.