National Duran Duran Day
Every August 10th calls on us to remember this awesome 80’s band! If you grew up in the 80’s like I did, you already know who they are, but in the case you didn’t, then take some time today to listen to their songs, watch their videos and learn about their history to becoming the memorable band that they were. This day was created by a Michigan radio disc jockey because it coincided with his birthday, We have been unable to find the DJ’s name.
About Duran Duran
Duran Duran was an English New Wave band formed in Birmingham in 1978. They were a mix of punk, pop and rock. In the 1980’s they were played regularly on the radio and MTV. The group was originally formed by keyboardist Nick Rhodes and bassist John Taylor, with later adding in drummer Roger Taylor, and later, guitarist Andy Taylor and lead singer Simon Le Bon.
Here’s some Duran Duran Trivia
- Duran Duran has sold over 100 million records.
- Duran Duran achieved 30 top 40 singles in the U.K. and 21 in the US Billboard Hot 100.
- They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- They named the band after “Dr. Durand Durand”, Milo O’Shea’s character from the sci-fi film Barbarella.
- The band’s first singer was Stephen Duffy.
- Duran Duran were among the first bands to have their videos shot with a professional movie camera on 35mm film, rather than on videotape
- In April 1980, guitarist Andy Taylor came from Newcastle upon Tyne to audition after responding to an advertisement in Melody Maker (British weekly music magazine)
- London vocalist Simon Le Bon was recommended to the band by an ex-girlfriend who worked at the Rum Runner.
- Before making it big, Simon Le Bon appeared in a Persil soap commercial and wanted to be an actor.
- Le Bon’s yacht, Drum, capsized during the FastNet Race in 1985, and he and five crewmates were trapped underwater but survived thanks to an air pocket beneath the overturned vessel.
- Duran Duran was among the earliest bands to work on their own remixes.
- Andy Taylor quit the band twice, once in 1986 and then again in 2006.
- John Taylor was first lead guitarist then later switched to bass guitar.
- Fashion has always been a part of what made this band popular and they works with several designers to perfect their look such as Perry Haines, Kahn & Bell, Antony Price, Vivienne Westwood and Giorgio Armani.
- The song, “Girls on Film” was taped with topless girls and they thought it would be played on channels like The Playboy Channel and in nightclubs.
- In 1984, Duran Duran introduced video technology into their live stadium shows by being among the first acts to provide video screens above the stage
- Nick Rhodes wed in London, wearing a pink velvet tuxedo and top hat.
- Milton Bradley released a Duran Duran board game called Arena.
- The 1997 album Medazzaland is the only one to feature vocals from keyboardist Nick Rhodes.
- Roger Taylor has a documentary about himself called Searching For Roger Taylor.
- There is also an hour-long documentary about Simon Le Bon’s former yacht, Drum—The Journey Of A Lifetime, which was narrated by the singer, featured a solo song from him, and is the companion piece to the book he co-authored which came out in 1988.
- Medazzaland was inspired by a trip to the dentist by La Bon in which he was sedated with the med Midazolam.
- Stephen Davis wrote an autobiography on Duran Duran called, Please Please Tell Me Now: The Duran Duran Story.
- Band member Roger Taylor retired to the English countryside, suffering from exhaustion after non stop recording and touring for five years.
- On his book Wild Boy, Andy Taylor talks about being diagnosed with clinical depression connected with the death of his father.
- In 2006, Duran Duran recorded and then shelved album Reportage after Andy Taylor left the band.
- In June 2008, they played the Louvre in Paris in a fundraising effort that contributed to the restoration of a Louis XV drawing room.
- Justin Timberlake sang on two tracks of the Red Carpet Massacre album.
- Their 14th and latest studio album, Paper Gods, reached the number 10 spot on the Billboard charts.
- Duran Duran even has their own Funkos!