Who Created Ice Cream Sundaes?
There are a couple people who claim the right to say they created ice cream sundaes.
First Claim to the Ice Cream Sundae
1881 – Two Rivers Wisconsin Soda Shop
One day in Two Rivers, Wisconsin in 1881, the story goes that Druggist Edward Berners served the first ice cream sundae when customer George Hallauer ordered an ice cream soda on a Sunday. Since the ordinances at the time prohibited the sale of ice cream sodas on the Sabbath, Berners came up with a compromise. He served the ice cream in a dish minus the soda. He then added some chocolate syrup and called it a sundae.
1889 – Buffalo, New York, Buggalo’s Stoddart Bros. Drug Store
Buffalo’s Stoddart Bros. Drug Store advertised serving up ice cream sodas garnished with fruit syrup and whipped cream in the pages of The Buffalo Evening News and the Buffalo Courier as early as 1889.
1890 – Plainfield, Illinois Pharmacist
A Plainfield, Illinois, druggist named Mr. Sonntag claims to have created ice cream sundaes in 1890 after customers started requesting something new. He named it the “sonntag” after himself, and since Sonntag means Sunday in German, the name was translated to Sunday, and later was spelled sundae.
1892 – Ithaca, New York, Platt & Colt Pharmacy
In 1892, Ithaca’s Platt & Colt Pharmacy claims that Reverend John M. Scott came in to order a bowl of ice cream. When Chester Platt, proprietor, began preparing the ice cream for his customer when he decided to drizzle some cherry syrup over the vanilla ice cream and topped the dish with a cherry. Since the day was Sunday, it was named for the day it was created. Ithaca does have historical evidence supporting the story, including an advertisement for a Cherry Sunday in the Ithaca Daily Journal on April 5, 1892.
And Possibly …
All these claims are true since it’s possible that more then one person thought to add syrup and cherries to ice cream at different times throughout history.
Did you Know that …
- Longest Ice Cream Sundae: An ice cream sundae built at the Spirit of Texas Festival in Wolf Pen Creek, Texas, set the world record in 2018. The ice cream sundae was a mile long and contained 500 gallons of ice cream, 2,000 cans of whipped cream, and 20,000 cherries.
- Most Expensive Sundae: Serendipity Golden Opulence Sundae, sold by Serendipity 3 restaurant in New York City has a sundae that consists of five scoops of Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream infused with Madagascar vanilla, covered in 23-carat edible gold leaf, rare Amedei Porcelana and Chuao chocolate, American Golden caviar, passion fruit, orange, Armagnac, candied fruits from Paris, and marzipan cherries, and decorated with real gold dragées. The sundae is served in a baccarat Harcourt crystal goblet with an 18-carat-gold spoon. This sundae will cost you $1,000.
Awesome Ice Cream Sundaes Across America
- Peterborough, NH: Lays claim to the Mt. Monadnock Sundae. Ava Marie Handmade Chocolate has a huge 35-scoop sundae they serve for $38.50 that features a choice of five flavors, covered in hot fudge and caramel, granite chocolate rocks, and whipped cream topped with a chocolate moose.
- New York City, NY: Industry Kitchen offers a $20 puff pastry with burnt sugar ice cream, whipped cream, toasted almonds, and hot chocolate sauce drizzled on top weighing in at 2.2 lbs.
- Los Angeles & Miami: These cities are home to Barton G. which serves up a 4- to 5-pound sundae which is served in a giant stainless steel martini glass. There are two versions available: The first option is seven giant scoops of vanilla custard, strawberry jam, and milk chocolate, all piled high onto a fudge brownie and then topped with whipped Chantilly cream, hot fudge, chocolate bark, Belgian chocolate sticks, white chocolate shavings, cherries, and sprinkles. The second option includes vanilla custard, strawberry jam, and milk chocolate, in addition to bourbon-buttered almond and cotija cheesecake ice cream, all served on top of brown butter blondies. The five flavors of ice cream and blondies are topped with miso butterscotch, marshmallow cream, chocolate crunch pearls, freeze dried raspberries, cherries, caramel corn, and finished with blowtorched meringue and bottle sparklers shooting out of the sundae. The sundae is named Sabrina after the owner’s deceased pet monkey and will cost you $49.
- Atlantic City, NJ, & Washington D.C.: offer a sundae to feed 10 people. It is a humongous banana split made with two caramelized bananas topped with six heaping scoops of vanilla or chocolate ice cream, hot fudge, candied pineapple, sliced strawberries, fresh whipped cream, roasted hazelnuts, and rolled wafer cookies, all on top of a chocolate torta base. This huge banana split will cost you $24.50.
- Chicago, Il: Dylan’s Candy Bar’s offers up a dish of 10 scoops of ice cream with a choice of 10 toppings with hot fudge, hot caramel, whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry. Some of the flavors of their ice cream include Oreo, Cotton Candy, Birthday Cake, Cheesecake, and Salted Caramel. This will cost you $40.
- Disney has lots of awesome ice cream sundaes to try out including the Noway Jose, The Kitchen Sink, Ooey Gooey Buttercake, Donut Sundae, Earth Quake Sundae, Ocean Beach Sea Salt Sundae, Kona Cone and many more.