When is Pick Strawberries Day
Pick Strawberries Day is celebrated annually on May 20th.
When are Strawberries Ready to Pick?
Berries are ready to be picked when at least three quarters of the fruit’s surface has changed from green to red. They should be firm, but not too hard or too mushy. (That’s what she said!)
Harvesting season is a bit different depending on where you live. In general the months of April, May, and June are when most strawberries are ready to pick in the United States. The further South you live the earlier harvesting season will begin.
Did You Know…
- Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- Berries have seeds on the inside but Strawberries have them on the outside making them technically not a true berry. They are in a group all on their own.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Strawberries are members of the rose family.
- California produces some 80% of the strawberries in the U.S… Florida is second.
- Strawberries are grown in every single U.S. state and Canadian province.
- In Belgium there is a museum devoted only to strawberries called Le Musée de la Fraise.
- Strawberries are said to reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers. They are low in calories and high in vitamins C, B6, K, fiber, folic acid, potassium and amino acids.
- Strawberries contain high levels of nitrate which helps increase blood and oxygen flow to the muscles.
- Ancient Romans used the berries to treat health ailments such as depression, fever and sore throats.
Check out these Recipes
- Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
- Strawberry Crisp
- Strawberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Angel Food Cake Dessert
- Easy Strawberry Mousse